The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Improving headlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSwiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Improving headlights
    Posted: 28 Dec 18 at 10:26
Hi all,

I have a LT 31 '91 and the headlights are like candles. I'd be super happy if anyone has some tips for making them brighter.

I can buy brighter bulbs (will do that today) but perhaps there are some conversions possible ? Or aftermarket led headlights ?

Cheers!
Niels
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 18 at 19:16
I Was thinking the very same thing.

I heard it mentioned that they might be similar to golf headlights. If that's true then I'm certain that I've seen led replacements for early golfs.

Someone will have a better idea on here I'm sure.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 19 at 11:19
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 19 at 12:37
The square hadlamps of the LT, are the most shitty headlamps i have ever experiensed. We bought Our Karmann LT in Tromsø i Northern Norway on july 01. Later in the same day we came to the Island of Senja and got into a tunnel originaly buildt for a mining Company in the -70ties. It was narrow, it was almost without anny lights and it was 3 km long. We din't see shit and i was realy afraid i would hit the side of the tunnel roof With the alkove, witch would have been the end of that camper.... Luckyli we survived and there was no damag to the camper. I think the best thing to do is to instaal new cables directly from the battery, to the headlamps. Another option is to install a set of fog lamps and use them as DRLhttps://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/electrical/lighting/fog-lamp-set-t3-lt.html. If i used my LT as a dayly driver i would instal thees fog lamps.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 19 at 17:17
The conductors are now almost thirty years old so as the resistance goes up and the voltage arriving at the bulbs goes down.

New cabling direct from the battery, and using relays will get the headlamps working far better. However, they were not designed for LED 'bulbs' so you may be able to see farther and better but you may be making life extremely difficult for those coming towards you.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 19 at 17:52
Bulbs on my LT are 45W golf ball jobs, useless to be honest.
Don't know about the type on the square ones, but the "standard" 130% brighter bulbs made a hell of a difference on the audi. Couldn't fit led's for both beams as they were not recommended, and I seriously hate been blinded at night.
Happened a few weeks ago, some dozy *** wanted to reverse into their drive so just pulled over to my side of the road and I had to slam on the brakes. Couldn't see f*** all and if I'd tried to go around I'd have plowed straight into a dark T5 I couldn't see. Totally clueless as to what the problem was.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 19 at 13:29
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Bulbs on my LT are 45W golf ball jobs, useless to be honest.
Don't know about the type on the square ones, but the "standard" 130% brighter bulbs made a hell of a difference on the audi. Couldn't fit led's for both beams as they were not recommended, and I seriously hate been blinded at night.
Happened a few weeks ago, some dozy *** wanted to reverse into their drive so just pulled over to my side of the road and I had to slam on the brakes. Couldn't see f*** all and if I'd tried to go around I'd have plowed straight into a dark T5 I couldn't see. Totally clueless as to what the problem was.
you are among the Lucky ones. you could just buy some modern round Golf 1 or Golf 2 headlamps and get much better light.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply