The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's off with the cylinder head!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's off with the cylinder head!
    Posted: 19 Dec 18 at 09:08
I'm about to attempt to take off the cylinder head on the AAZ engine in my van. It overheated and needs a gasket replacement- I hope that is all- as well as a skim and crack test of course. The fear is that it could be worse and i'll have to get a recon head or whatever.
Anyway, I picked up a Haynes manual a few years back for a Golf TD 1996 in case I ever needed to do any work on the engine...the time has come! I've never done anything this big to be honest so i'm a bit apprehensive but have enough confidence to do it, with help from the internet and the manual too. Obviously I'm trying to cut the costs and save some money from the £600 quote to do the job. It's also a personal journey and a learning experience- I really want to see the state of the head and take it to a machinist myself. However, at that point I'm going to ask my mechanic to refit- mostly because of time constraints.
Does anyone have any advice/pointers/important things to do or not do before I start? Any help is much appreciated it!
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 18 at 18:26
If I can offer one piece of advice... Drain down the coolant properly before slackening the head bolts.
Nowt worse than coolant pishing into the cylinders and sump to sit whilst the head is getting checked over. It doesn't take long for watermarking and corrosion of the bores / rings to set in.

Oh, and where sunscreen! Mind you, at this time of year it's probably best just to substitute that for a good dose of barrier cream and gloves. The black oily mess one can get covered in when mechanicing on internal combustion engines is probably more likely to give you cancer than the sun's rays. Geek

sandyman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 18 at 14:36
Cheers for the tips!
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 18 at 11:44
I've an AAZ head if you need it? I put an AAZ in my van and as it was a no expense spared exercise I fitted a brand new complete head. The old one had some small cracks in the usual places but the advice on here was that it was fine (there are probably photos some where), I changed it anyway.

So the old head is surplus to requirements if you need it.
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply