The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Motor Failure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevinr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Motor Failure?
    Posted: 11 Dec 18 at 23:04
Hi there,

I have a 1989 VW LT31 that usually runs perfectly. I had last winter a problem I suspect from the starter engine as normally when I turn the key in position 2 (ignition) I can here a little noise that something turn on (I think it's the starter motor right?).

Anyway, last winter I didn't have that noise and couldn't start the engine... with a brand new charge battery. I check some of the wires and just moves them and then it worked again (could here the noise and start the engine normally) until couple of weeks ago when I had the same problem but this time couldn't "fix it" by randomly moving the wires haha....

Do you think it's definitely a problem with the wiring of the starter motor or something linked to it?

Do you have any advice on how to check the electrical system?

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Kevin
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 18 at 11:19
Yes mate, best would be to grab yourself a decent quality multimetre and Haynes manual (downloadable from brick-yard) go through the electrical diagram for your model, and chase all the wires and connections checking each for continuity before moving on to the next. Somewhere in that line you will either find yourself a duff connection that you can recrimp or ofcourse, if no bad connections.... A duff starter motor. My bet is in The connections.

Which wires did you erm.... Wiggle.... To get it working originally?

If it's a petrol motor, I think the little whir you hear when you hit position 2 is the fuel pump being primed. If you aren't hearing that, but it still cranks over OK, suspect fuel pump or connections to it.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Kevinr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevinr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 18 at 11:27
Hi there,

Thanks for the info and thanks for pointing out the fuel pump. I actually had it replaced about a 1.5 ago, maybe a bad connection here too. I'll send a photo of the wire that I think I "wiggled" haha...

Best,
 Post Reply Post Reply