The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer coil/spring calibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyredandcranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer coil/spring calibration
    Posted: 13 Oct 18 at 08:21
Ok, so where do I begin...

I had an original petrol cluster on my now diesel 1.9TD. The cluster was cracked, broken, had the wrong screws which split the housing in every direction, and some of the PCB board was chewed.

At Busfest I found a pair of German guys selling perfectly functioning clusters with intact PCB for £70. This was very cheap so I picked one up! I went about the process of transferring bits over, including my original ODO which went above 100,000 miles, and the speedo read in mph which I wanted.

Anway, during the process of taking it all apart and putting it back together, I must have not realised the coil which determines the the movement of the speedo needled wasn't 'coiled up' enough so to speak. Now at 40mph + it's about 10mph out and takes an age to show accurate speed when slowing down.

Is there a sure fire way to re-calibrate this??? I can't seem to easily take the coil off and tigthen it again...

Any help greatly appreciated!
babylon by bus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babylon by bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 00:25

Look on the face of the speedo,you'll see a white line anti clockwise of the needle stop.You fit the needle in line with this line,then carefully move it clockwise over the stop to calibrate the speedo.

yeah,it's the punky reggae party,
and it's tonight,
yeah,it's the punky reggae party,and it's alright.
richdcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richdcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 09:06
Wow! This is absolutely brilliant help. Thank you!

So just let me get this straight, I pop the needle on at the white line and move it back over the stop in a clockwise direction?
VW T3 1.9TDI
VW Golf Mk4 Estate 1.9TDI PD130
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babylon by bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 23:34
Yes,be careful not to break the needle as you lift it over the stop.I gently held it steady at the centre and lifted it by the tip to get it over the stop.
and it's tonight,
tyredandcranky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyredandcranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 18 at 12:04
Great news! I did what you said, but it didn't quite work. Not because you were wrong, but my original coil was slightly bent and wasn't ever going to be accurate.

I decided to risk swapping it over from the new one. It worked! It was a really intricate little job, and couldn't have worked without a donor speedo which was already broken.

I pulled off the coil, tapped out the pin on the right where the coil ends. Reversed the procedure and boom, the speedo works to the unit! It's GPS accurate!

Thanks for your help.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babylon by bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 18 at 23:05
Originally posted by tyredandcranky tyredandcranky wrote:

Great news! I did what you said, but it didn't quite work. Not because you were wrong, but my original coil was slightly bent and wasn't ever going to be accurate.

I decided to risk swapping it over from the new one. It worked! It was a really intricate little job, and couldn't have worked without a donor speedo which was already broken.

I pulled off the coil, tapped out the pin on the right where the coil ends. Reversed the procedure and boom, the speedo works to the unit! It's GPS accurate!

Thanks for your help.
You're welcomeThumbs Up
and it's tonight,
 Post Reply Post Reply