The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gearbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gearbox
    Posted: 09 Oct 18 at 20:22
Hi again all, I am in the prosess of buying another T3. ( why? cos we love em). Its a German import (so LHD)with a 1900i petrol with 4 speed gearbox. It has the wrong gear stick fitted (5speed). All feels good apart from very stiff gear change and a wining noise that seems to be coming from below the gearstick in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 4th is fine. The noise dose not seem to be coming from the rear, e.g. gearbox itself. My question is could it be because the wrong shifter has been fitted? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 18 at 21:10
i had similar with my 4spd recently - turned out it was touching metal at the gearbox and resonating down to the gearstick. slakening off my knob helped (less annoying) until i got it sorted
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
gerard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 18 at 14:06
Thanks for that Rowlesy. I have now picked new ( to me) T3 up. It drives well but the whine is worse than I thought. It is very loud in fact. Goes into gears ok, bit stiff maybe but does select ok. 4th gear seems ok with no whining (bliss). It had a new cluch fitted 2 years ago. Ive looked undeneath and can't see any mettle to mettle touching. It has got the wrong gearstick fitted, could this be a reason its whining? Could it just be a knackered gearbox? Thanks again for any suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply