The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying and Converting a high mileage Crafter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying and Converting a high mileage Crafter
    Posted: 29 Sep 18 at 15:08
Hi all,
Just a simple debate on what is considered high mileage these days on modern vans?
I'm looking for a van to convert into a tourer, years ago anything over 100,000 was considered high
but with a budget of £10,000 for van and (diy) conversion I'm looking at vans with 150-175,000+ on them.  Would it be foolish to spend £4000 on converting such a van?

-M-
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 18 at 15:16
Depends what the van was used for - 100k miles of motorway could be a 2 year old van in great nick. 100k of local heavy deliveries and it could be near death.

Trouble with modern vehicles is the expense of all the extra bits like dmfs and particulate filters all of which could will be getting near replacement time. Mileage is no guarantee of how good these kind of bits are.

Best advice is buy something your mechanic is familiar with and has a goid diagnostic tool for.

melvin View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 10:37
I suppose that mileage (apart from the obvious condition) is the one metric that people can see when looking for a used van, the condition of the various components are not so easy to judge.  I've seen vans with 250,000+ for sale,  so in answering my own question I think I'm going to look out for vans with good service history as you'd imagine that these will have been better looked after.

Next problem is trying to find one locallyish to take a look at, being down in deepest Cornwall all we drive around here are TractorsTongue 

-M-
 Post Reply Post Reply