The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No low end power and smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No low end power and smoke
    Posted: 26 Sep 18 at 22:22
Hi, I'm new to the world of T5 and I seem to be suffering with all the faults straight from the off.
I bought a 2007 2.5 130 T5 which was fine on the test drive. 5 mikes after buying it the glow plug light came on. Turns out I needed new glow plugs. Software also showed my EGR valve was gone. As it seemed was the diaphragm in the EGR cooler. When I removed my bumber I also found I had an oval intercooler. All this has been replaced now.
Since changing everything the van has no power until the turbo kicks in. It also smells like a bus and smokes a lot when you boot it.
I have checked all the hoses and ordered a new MAF sensor. The old one was date stamped 2007.
Do you think this will solve the problem?
I just had it serviced and MOT 'd, so all new oil and filters. It even passed the emission test in its current state.
I would be so grateful for any advice as this has been a very bad start for me into the VW world
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 18 at 04:39
Sorry to hear of your troubles so early in your ownership.

Maybe double check for air leaks in intake system ?  (pressurised side ie after turbo)

Mine is gutless until the turbo kicks in around 1,800rpm.  It starts to make a bit of power around 1,600, but before that not much action at all.

Black smoke or blue ?
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 18 at 08:38
Thanks for the reply.
It's black smoke.
I will have another look at the hoses at the weekend and let you know if the new MAF makes a difference
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 18 at 09:38
Originally posted by Maddogs45 Maddogs45 wrote:

Since changing everything the van has no power until the turbo kicks in. It also smells like a bus and smokes a lot when you boot it.

If it is worse now perhaps someone has messed up.  That's quite a lot of work and parts undone/taken off.  The most likely thing is as Greg says one of the turbo or intercooler pipes split, partially off or a misplaced seal.  You could could do with getting it on VCDS to see what it says.  

It's worth a check on the MAP sensor (down low in front of the battery) if it has been left unplugged that could do it.  A MAF can cause low power and smoking but I doubt it if it was ok before the work was done.  

Welcome by the way. Smile

2004 2.5 174
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 18 at 09:39
Unplug the MAF it will show a fault light but ignore that, see if it drives any different, it should show up on a scan, check wiring to maf and boost pressure sensor
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 18 at 18:14
Thanks guys. I did have it checked and it shows no faults.
I will change the MAF anyway when it turns up.
The wiring to both the EGR and MAP was damaged and replaced with the EGR job, I will double check his wiring.
Fingers crossed. I'll let you know
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 18 at 23:20
Maf made no difference. Now got a guy to do a smoke test on the pipes on Thursday. Why are VW vans so popular when they are so badly engineered?
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 16:36
One of the best vehicles to drive. As much as I love to complain about the engineering etc on them, it is a common complaint for the majority of makes. Vehicles are not designed for life any more. Life span is now just after the warranty runs out.

Blame the greenies - with the emissions laws as strict as they are, manufacturers are getting creative to meet them. Alternators that cut out, gearbox shafts that are lighter weight etc etc.

Vw still have terrible wiring and door handles. Keeps us in business I suppose.
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 19:25
After running the diagnostic software it turns out I have a problem with injector 5. It looks like it needs the timing adjusting.
I need a new rocker cover gasket anyway, so I will get all 5 checked whilst the lid is off.
I will book it into a garage and keep you posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply