The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Petrol gearbox to diesel engine question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petrol gearbox to diesel engine question
    Posted: 14 Aug 18 at 14:24
Hi!

I am right in the middle of fitting an AAZ to my 1.6d T3. I got my hands on a gearbox from a 1.9petrol. My question is, do I need to change the gear linkages also to make this box fit? I see the gear selector on the petrol box is in a slightly different location than my diesel box? 

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Arthur
1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

So Far, new seats, new wood floor, new rear bearings, new front upper arm bushes, new steering rack, new clutch master cylinder....
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 18 at 20:30
Could be one is a 4 speed and the other a 5 speed,linkage rear section is different between 4and 5
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 18 at 07:29
petrol boxes are something like 20mm shorter than diesels.... you ideally want the rear section to suit the petrol box then you could extend it to mate up to the diesel front... if your starting out with a 5 speed and going to 4 speed you need to change the front to match and visa versa.... whats speed box is in there now? the gearbox mount will need changing and or extending to suit...
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Arthur Sweden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 18 at 00:42
Thanks a mill for the help!

I double checked and its a 4 speed box (I think). My father wonders what the extra gear in the differential housing (behind the crown wheel and pinion) is? The connecting sleeve on the input shaft has a gear mounted on it. It connects with another gear that seems to connect inside the gearbox. 

Originally it was a 4 speed diesel box with 1.6cs diesel. Im just fitting an AAZ now and I picked up a 4 speed petrol box that was from a 1.9 petrol. 

Now that the engine is in, the gearbox is about 40mm too short from the mounting at the cross member. 

Can I buy a petrol mounting and fit that?

Next thing is the gear linkage. Should I just buy a petrol linkage? Do I need the whole setup from gear stick to box, or can I just fit the link midway to gearbox?

Cheers for the help. 

//Art 

1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

So Far, new seats, new wood floor, new rear bearings, new front upper arm bushes, new steering rack, new clutch master cylinder....
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 18 at 10:02
Originally posted by Arthur Sweden Arthur Sweden wrote:

Thanks a mill for the help!

My father wonders what the extra gear in the differential housing (behind the crown wheel and pinion) is? The connecting sleeve on the input shaft has a gear mounted on it. It connects with another gear that seems to connect inside the gearbox. 

That's reverse gear..  you kinda need to keep that Wink

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Arthur Sweden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 18 at 20:49
I think you might be right then LOL
1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 18 at 21:15
LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply