The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Westfalia electrics problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhalliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 Westfalia electrics problem
    Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 18:22
Hi, I'm having real problems with my 1994 westfalia electrics. Here's how things have played out:

The water pump stopped working, and at the same time the control panel stopped showing the voltage. I researched this online, replaced the water pump fuse behind the driver's seat, and all seemed to be working again.

We went camping, in the evening, sitting out, I smelt burning, ran into the van and it was clearly coming from somewhere behind the fridge/under the cabinet. I unplugged the electric hook up. I tried the water tap, it ran for a second and then failed. The control panel again didn't show voltage. Soon after, the fridge stopped running.

A strong burning smell lingered. The control panel is still showing something, but not the voltage. I have checked the leisure batteries, and there is no evidence of anything that looks like burning. I haven't dared plug the electric hook up in again.

Anyone have any ideas? Or does any one know who I could take the van to who might be able to work on this, I live in Sheffield. I'm ok with simple maintenance, but this feels beyond me, would appreciate any advice, thanks
ega95jch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ega95jch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 18 at 21:20
Hi

Apologies for late reply, but I'm not on here often.

Is your vehicle a California Exclusive? In any case, I reckon your charger unit has burned out (mine did as well). I'd advise not hooking up until you've had a look. In the Exclusive, this unit is behind the panel below the compressor fridge (four screws to remove and the panel comes away easily).

Please let me know how you get on. All is not lost, but too much detail to go into now!

By the way, I'm in Sheffield as well.

Cheers
John
mhalliday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhalliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 18 at 20:04
Thanks John

Someone else also suggested that to me last night, sounds very likely. I'll have a look and let you know how I get on

Thanks again
Martin
ega95jch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ega95jch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 18 at 20:17
Hey Martin

Let me know what you find. Your unit is most likely the original Philips unit, and they're notorious for breaking down (and for literally catching fire, as mine did).

There's a great solution, but I need to know a bit more. In the meantime, if you've got a solar panel you can keep your leisure battery charged with the help of the split charge from the alternator.

Cheers
John
mhalliday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhalliday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 19 at 17:02
Hi John

I hope you're still around on this site.  I finally got round to trying to sort out the charging unit.  I have opened up the panel and found the charging unit, it doesn't seems to say Philips on it.  
This  site doesn't let me post a picture, but it looks like the one in this link:

Any ideas on what I might do would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Martin
ega95jch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ega95jch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 19 at 17:40
Hi Martin

I'm not on here very often, but happily I get email alerts!

Your unit looks quite different to mine - mine's a Cali Exclusive 1996 (long nose). Anyway, I had similar problems (multiple electrical issues) and as my German's quite good, I decided to try and source someone in Germany to fix my van up. I found someone who's a Westfalia Service Partner, and he used to work for Westfalia building the vans. He replaced my charger in 2016 with this:

This unit is, in his words, "half the cost of the original and twice as good". It's €50 more than the basic version, but with this you get a special connector so the charging symbol on your central electronics works. The cheaper unit will still work, but you won't see the "tuning fork" symbol. Mine's worked without a hitch for the last three years. It really is a quality piece of kit.

I'd suggest you contact FraRon and see if their unit is compatible with your van. If so - happy days! If not, they might be able to suggest something.

I could tell you a lot more - can you send me a PM? I don't really know how this forum works and I don't want to upset anyone by posting my email address.

Cheers
John
 Post Reply Post Reply