The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch problem...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotabat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch problem...
    Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 12:13
Hi all.
The clutch on my syncro is 'drawing in' air, or something similar.
There are no leaks from the master or slave cylinder.
I'm fine driving about town, all works great. But after a long period on the open road, it's really difficult to change down the gears.
I pull into the services, crack the bleed nipple, there's a pause, then a few bubbles, then we're good to go. Clutch works fine. Until it happens again!

Is this more likely to be the master cylinder or slave cylinder causing the problem,and which should I change first?

Also, as far as other hardware is concerned, do I just need the metal banjo seals?

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 15:18
Change the slave cylinder. Seals have failed and it’s drawing air as it get warm.

Mine did the same for a year or so and then suddenly failed completely. I’d bite the bullet and change it before then.
Rotabat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotabat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 15:50
Thanks for that! It's what I wanted to hear...
Looks like a simple enough job. Any pitfalls?
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 11:59
You end up replacing the clutch pipe further and further up the van as the old unions snap and round off!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 14:49
yup, and then try and find the odd diameter copper/cunifer pipe!!

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Rotabat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rotabat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 18 at 09:14
Yes.
I can see what might go wrong...
Whilst waiting for the hardware, I'm liberally soaking all the components that need disconnecting, in release fluid.
The pipe unions themselves don't look too old.... but time will tell!!
 Post Reply Post Reply