The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 3 reasons for LT1 TD Running Remp Change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 3 reasons for LT1 TD Running Remp Change?
    Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 13:14

Afternoon all,

So here’s a question that I probably don’t want the answer to when I’m five days from holidays in the van!

Returning from Warwickshire yesterday, noticed the old Florida was running a little warmer than usual.

2/3 of the gauge rather than hovering just below or just above halfway point.

Drop down to 80kph, and it’ll return to halfway, up to 100kph (60mph) and it rises again.

Never goes over the top, and never get an overtemp flashing red light.

Perhaps I’m being over cautious. But I’m mindful that it had water pump and belts a couple of months back.
Done a fair bit of mileage since then though and we haven’t lost any coolant.

I’ve checked for obstructions of the rad, and cleaned up the temp sensor connections.

Van is normally bulletproof.

Cheers all,
Chappy

Edited by Chappy - 29 Jul 18 at 13:15
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 16:30
hi had a thermostat lately? they are easy to fit and may be the problem.

old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 17:19

No thermostat recently, so good point.
I’ll order one in in case it’s needed while we’re away.

Had a good look over the Flo today - checked all the cooling system joints, pinned back the guide next to the rad that wasn’t secured (maybe an issue with it flapping about at speed), cleaned up the temp sender contacts, checked the coolant etc ran it up and checked temp with an IR thermometer.

So far so good. Planning on giving it a run and checking the temp manually to see what it’s really doing.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 23:49
Could this be a case of over-observant driver coupled with hot weather and thrashing the pants off the LT? If the temp drops to below halfway when not thrashing the pants off've it I'd say may be normal behaviour. Could also be airlock in system if recently changed fluid or bit of gunk moved and stuck in rad. Maybe old or shite coolant? ... but probably normal.
Cooling aside. If you want to give the old beast a new lease of life get a new OEM MANN air filter - if you haven't already done so lately - not just a clean out with compressed air. Removes alot of uphill struggle.
Happy hols!

Edited by Monster LT - 29 Jul 18 at 23:52
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 00:33
I find our Florida will indicate upto 3/4 of the way up the gauge at 100-110 depending on outside temps. I'm pushing 20lbs of boost with the ACL intercooler.  New rad on its way to see if that improves anything, I've already done the thermostat.
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 18 at 02:17
Pulled the old rad tonight, lots of crap plugging the fins at the top, even though I had it out and cleaned it 5 years ago.   New one feels a bit lighter, not sure of that's because it has less material or if the old one is plugged with crap.   End tanks on the NRF rad look OEM with the logos ground off, but the core itself is slightly different.

ps - it's pretty easy to drop.  Took me under an hour after my last post.
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 18 at 09:28
I've just driven mine from Brighton down to Marbella in southern Spain and on some of the motorway hills south of Madrid my temp gauge peaked out several seriously nerve racking times at just under the 2nd from last dot. It was pushing 40 degrees and these hills are loooong. I was shaking with pure fear by the time we reached the top of some and I always pulled over quick once the hill was done but the light didn't flash. Makes me sweat just thinking about it.

Since then, by the coast but with reasonable temperatures, I've been up and down some steep stuff daily and had no issues what so ever. Temp registering just over the halfway mark when pushing uphill in 3rd and occasionally 2nd for 20kms With 25 degrees +-5 outside temp.

I think these hot days are just a killer.   

Edited by nooberdoober - 14 Aug 18 at 09:29
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply