The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Central locking....again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Central locking....again!
    Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 09:51
My 08 has developed an issue with the drive off locking, it keeps locking and unlocking itself as you drive along, I've removed the fuse for now but bit of a pain having no central locking and probably no alarm.
Any ideas people?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 13:37
Might be the ignition switch.  I had this same problem with my Octavia and a new ignition switch (just the electrical part) immediately fixed it.  Apparently with this fault the switch tells the control unit the key has been removed from the switch so it unlocks, then the switch contacts pass current again so the control unit locks again.  Lots of sellers for my Octy switch, but there are a few different styles of VW switches, so make sure you get the right one for your van.

Let us know how you get on.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 16:41
Hi Woodbutcher Smile  

It could well be the ign switch as Greg says.  If the fault is the ignition switch and you want your central locking back until you can get it fixed you could get someone to disable the anti-carjacking feature (assuming you have it enabled) so it won't respond to the faulty switch. 

I would have thought you should have had some other symptom like the interior light flickering on at the same time as the locks since the the int lights are supposed to come on on taking the key out.  The locks themselves can cause some odd behaviour though too.

You haven't recently changed the radio by any chance have you?  

2004 2.5 174
WOODBUTCHER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 20:52
No issues with the interior lights but might try a new ign. switch I don't suppose it'll be too expensive
Radio was changed 2 years ago.

Edited by WOODBUTCHER - 23 Jul 18 at 20:54
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 21:48
It might be worth getting someone to run a full scan with VCDS before you cough up for an ignition switch just in case it's a door lock or wiring fault. 
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 18 at 02:12
Originally posted by WOODBUTCHER WOODBUTCHER wrote:

No issues with the interior lights but might try a new ign. switch I don't suppose it'll be too expensive

The new Octy switch cost me Au$11.99 (and that included shipping ! )
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 20:47
The plot thickens! It locks/unlocks itself when unlocked by remote but without key in ignition.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 23:11
I think it's most likely to be the driver's door lock itself but the ignition switch is still a good possibility.  If you can find someone locally with VCDS who can do a full scan of all controllers it will probably show up something.  Post the scan here and we will have a go. Smile   
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 18 at 01:43
Just checking re locking/unlocking without the key in the ignition - VW's will re-lock themselves if you unlock using the remote but don't open a door afterwards, this is how they are designed.  

But if it is also unlocking without you touching the remote then something is definitely wrong (and less likely to be the ignition switch fault I have described).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 17:33
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QSR5cQRvsK-XB_dIXrXQhuNJPmf0-34l50yhmdGVzZc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Get stuck in!
15kph autolock has been turned off, it's still playing up.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 18:05
Can't see the link.  Permission not set to public?
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 18 at 21:27
I think I've now set it to public.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 18 at 04:23
This is one I'd definitely investigate further :

01598 - Drive Battery Voltage

001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

If the voltage regulator is failing and the voltage goes too high it will cause lots of odd faults, as the electrical controllers simply can't cope. Connect a voltmeter (any old one will do, doesn't need to be super accurate) to the battery and keep an eye on the voltage as you drive along and/or rev the engine, it shouldn't go above about 14.4 - 14.5V.

Edited by gregozedobe - 02 Aug 18 at 04:24
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 18 at 08:29
There is a no comms code in the convenience module (which is under the driver's seat) and that does run the locks and windows.  Also I notice the engine controller, the CAN system, the instruments and others are all complaining that it won't talk to them either.  So I  reckon it's well worth a look at that to see if there is any corrosion on the connecting pins on that.  Water damage is quite common on vans used for water sports. Wink 

There is also a very common fault of corrosion on a splice under the seat (google for that one) but it normally leaves the doors double locked and doesn't leave those communication codes.

As Greg says the alternator DF code and the drive battery codes could be the alternator regulator and that can be changed separately from the alternator (on the 2.5) but it's very labour intensive and may be a separate issue.  I actually changed the reg on mine which had both of those codes and it didn't cure it!  But that's another story..  

Unless you can see that the voltage is obviously high at the battery with the engine running I think I would start by unplugging the two big multiplugs on the convenience unit (with the battery disconnected) and examining for rusty/corroded pins since that's free :-)  I think you can do that with the seat in place but I can't remember for certain.  

Edited by T5 TDI - 02 Aug 18 at 09:30
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODBUTCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 18 at 10:23
Sorry for the delayed response, I took the drivers seat out and as soon as I touched the convenience unit the central locking started it's tricks, disconnected battery took connecters off unit gave them a clean put them back,so far all is well.
Thanks guys.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 18 at 12:56
Good stuff! Smile
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply