The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VC tightness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davecrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VC tightness
    Posted: 22 Jul 18 at 22:10
Flicked through previous threads but saw nothing that helps me.

So recently I bought a syncro.. it was a mess to say the least.. all welded now and repainted..
The prop shaft was off when I bought it. The owner told me it was tight and caused the gearbox to need a rebuild.
Today I jacked the front up and turned the end of the diff and the front wheels turn straight away. Is this a sign the VC is tight?
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 06:22
I don't think so, it shows your front diff is working. It needs a difference in speed between front and rear axle to work.
I would have to google a bit to find the procedure to test.

!!dangerous part only at your own risk!!
One is to jack up the back with a jack that can roll. then shift in G or first gear (not sure which one) and loose the clutch slowly, it should crawl ahead.
!! dangerous part !!

In normal condition your syncro will drive 95% of the power on the rear wheels and 5 on the front.

Kris
Regards,
Kris
Davecrook1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davecrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 08:08
So if moves the van whilst on the jack and moving slowly it shouldn’t transfer power? I’m guessing if it does at low speed then the VC is tight?
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 18:32
Regards,
Kris
Davecrook1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davecrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 18 at 22:29
Thanks. I’ll give it a go
 Post Reply Post Reply