The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ blowing oil all over

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ blowing oil all over
    Posted: 02 Jul 18 at 16:19
Hello!  

I have a 1989 T3 that was converted a while ago from JX to AAZ. Never had this problem for a year plus of my ownership, here are the symptoms:
  • Oil blowing all over the engine
  • Noticeable lack of power compared to before
  • Occasional high idle between gears and in traffic once hot
Only thing recent-ish I have done to it was change the throttle levers to the Brickwerks ones, and it does now not quite close the throttle all the way unless you snap it shut, the cable is a bit short with the new levers, I do have a new cable, so may try re-fitting that. I thought I kept the indexing correct, but could have lost it possibly, although did a longish trip since this and didn't notice these issues or at least they we not as bad.

Oil level should be correct, I changed it in March with 4.3L and new filter. Was at the correct level before this past weekends trip.

I have been reading through the threads, but any ideas would be appreciated!!  Thank you!

Pics to come in a second....
1989 T3 California hi-top - AAZ
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 18 at 16:36
Once I got back, realised these are not the best, but are a start hopefully... Can't tell where it is blowing from but definitely on top somewhere at least, need to remove the tray to see the turbo etc..

Dripping from all parts of the tray:

Blowing all over the engine bay and pooling in the valley:

Not looking good outside!

Edited by asander1 - 02 Jul 18 at 16:55
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 18 at 23:15
This may not be caused by a fooked engine with piston blowby belching oil mist everywhere.
It could just be down to a simple oil leak from either an oil pressure switch, turbo oil feed pipe, or oil filter / cooler seal, or gasket.
No drop off in performance and starting and lack of an overheat / low coolant level situation will hopefully mean the cause it nowt to serious.

Mind you that last pic could point to some sinister sabotaging behaviour by brick-yard's own nicq, or other Mogg / Farage styled dude. Wink

asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 08:35
Thanks for the reply, got the engine pan off, cleaning up the oil so I can see what is happening, then will fire it up and see what is going on..

No starting problems or overheating at all even on a hot weekend/long drive. Will post pics later today, cheers.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 10:08
The noticeable lack of power bit would worry me.

Sound like piston blow-by creating crank case pressure and blowing oil out of your block. If you feel the engine breather out the rocker cover it should only be a light puffing at idle and that should decrease to zero as you rev the engine? If it’s blowing hard out the breather then you’ve got serious issues :(
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 12:12
I will try that test!

I am hoping there are 2 different issues, maybe I messed up the throttle indexing when changing the arm... and the oil leak is separate? Otherwise, doesn’t sound good.... :(
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 15:03
Ah. Yes. Probably that’s the issue easily done.
And just an oil leak. Camshaft oil seal?
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 18:39
Well, still a mystery so far!  Shocked

Cleaned the engine a bit - not thoroughly as I don't have a hose or anything..  but wiped it with cloths and simple green where I could reach...

Underneath is pretty dry, the oil had been dripping down onto the oil pan but nothing at all on the turbo return line:

Added 1.5 liters of oil and barely got to the bottom of the hash marks, so thats not very good, lost a lot of oil!!! :-(

Ran it for a while and there was no obvious leak:

Here is a video of the blowby test described above from the rocker cover..  Seems to me like the pressure goes down when rpms go up, so I am still baffled, there was tons of oil all over and seems like it probably came from overpressure, since there is no obvious gusher...

Any help is appreciated!!!
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 19:09
The dipstick setup looks a bit weird.
Are you sure the engine wasn't overfilled and blowing oil out of the unsealed dipstick tube.
1.5 litres is a fair bit of oil to lose, but if overfilled by that amount it could cause issues.
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 18 at 19:13
The dipstick setup is weird, has the chopped off car dipstick with some hose on the end of the tube...  

I measured when I changed the oil last and I am pretty sure it was correct, but who knows...  I may need to clean the engine more, and drive it a bit and see how it goes...

Thanks for the response... did the video work?  Do you know if it looks normal?  Appreciate your help!
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 08:11
Crankcase pressure looks pretty normal in the video so that’s good.
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 08:28
Phew! Thats good...

The pod airfilter was dried out and full of black, black oil, so not sure if that is just a result or partnof the cause?? Cleaning it all out and reoiling it properly...

Could a clogged airfilter cause excess pressure somehow?
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 11:58
Been reading more threads on this - it was a hot weekend, could super high oil temperatures cause excessive pressure?

I don't have an oil temperature gauge so no idea what I was running, the coolant temperatures were on the warm side - ie. fan had to kick in more than usual, but definitely wasn't overheating..

Hmmm....
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 13:49
Hot oil = low pressure. Thin oil.
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 14:48
Hmm what effect on crankcase pressure? Or low both... that thread made me think otherwise..
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 18 at 22:11
Rocker cover breather gauze blocked?

Certain you used the correct (or same type as already in the van) oil type when you changed the oil?
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 15:42
Does the AAZ rocker cover have gauze? Can I tell at the mushroom? Or need to remove he rocker cover?

Seems like it was breathing okay, see video above.

Either way I will be doing a full oil change and put 4.3L in and go from there, looking into the Mann Provent referenced in other threads, anyone using this? Or other suggested breathing solutions?

Cheers, thanks in advance!
Chops View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 21:35
A metal gauze in the rocker cover.  I had a similar problem with my JX.

I don't know if there is one on the AAZ.

Seemed fine at idle, but after a run the tailgate looked just like yours.

I couldn't get the mushroom off so had to take the rocker cover off.  When I did the breather outlet (i.e. underside of the rocker cover) was caked in black gunk. Scraped it out and hammered it with brake cleaner to get it clean.

Might not be the same issue as yours but just trying to help.

Good luck.
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 22:18
Thanks for the reply, will take a look! Cheers!
asander1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 18 at 11:24
Ok, I got these issues sorted out, here is the story...

• Oil blowing all over the engine
I changed the oil using one of those suction devices through the dipstick to avoid dropping the undertray. I don't think I got all the old oil out using this method. The dipstick as someone pointed out is not easy to see how it is calibrated. So when I refilled with 4.5L I think it ended up overfull and hard to tell by the dipstick if you don't put it in all the way. I used 5w40 synthetic, but for the hot summer I think this was too thin, so the combination caused it to be pushed out and all over the place. 

Remedy: removed undertray, drained oil from the plug and filter and let drip for 1hr plus. Then refilled properly with 4.5L of 15w40. Looks good with the dipstick all the way in.
  • Noticeable lack of power compared to before
Air filter is a POD style and is in the engine compartment behind the taillight, removing and cleaning this proved it was full of the oil that had been misting all over because of issue above. Seems much better after a proper cleaning, will be going to the stock JX airbox setup soon, would like to find the snorkel tubes for this if anyone has them, I know you can get some parts from Brickwerks in silicone, but I also need the plastic bits.
  • Occasional high idle between gears and in traffic once hot
I had changed the throttle arm to the Brickwerks setup and the throttle cable was a little short, so didn't actually close all the way, especially when it was hot. I replaced the throttle cable as the end gaitor was all worn out anyways. Properly adjusted the length so it closes to the stop and now all is good. 

After all these changes took the van camping for 4 days and drove 2hrs back on country roads, highway and London city traffic this past Thursday which was 34c one of the hottest days and all good, no oil leaking anymore, no high idle and seems power is good again! Phew!
 Post Reply Post Reply