The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I safely remove this metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badgerinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I safely remove this metal?
    Posted: 24 Jun 18 at 13:59
Hi guys.
My name is Howard and I'm new to the site. I have a 1990 Holdsworth Vision camper van that has done just 50k miles
I'm in the process of upgrading the old upholstery & headlining and doing some other modifications.
I have a Carver cascade GE2 water heater I'd like to fit but am extremely limited as to where to site it
The only feasible place (and even that might not be) is on the drivers side 3/4 of the way the the back of the van
To run on gas the heater needs to be vented to the outside
My problem is that the fabrication of the van won't allow this without me removing some metal!Wacko
This is a piccie of the piece that would need to be removed:
I've marked where I would need to cut out the swaged metal
Does anyone know for sure either way if it's possible to remove this metal without compromising the structural integrity of the van?
I realise VW would not normally put something there if it wasn't needed but just wondered if in this case it was included because LH drive vans would have the heavy sliding door on the offside and removing the metal won't be an issue as mine is RH drive
Sorry it's such a long first post and hope it makes sense.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards, Howard

Edited by badgerinspace - 25 Jun 18 at 12:24
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 18 at 21:50
i cant see pictures....might need to make them public?

if you plate the area around where youre making the hole it should be alright. if you can add a pipe maybe to route the hole away from major structures that would be good too...... like i say i cant see pics so im guessing where youre putting the holes
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
badgerinspace View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badgerinspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 18 at 12:34
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

i cant see pictures....might need to make them public?

if you plate the area around where youre making the hole it should be alright. if you can add a pipe maybe to route the hole away from major structures that would be good too...... like i say i cant see pics so im guessing where youre putting the holes

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I've amended the post to show the image. Apparently Dropbox stopped the facility to make images public last year but didn't tell anyone!
I can't fabricate a pipe to re-route as a vent plate needs to be attached on the outside skin of the van and screwed directly into the unit. The plate and unit are 8" by 9" at this point. It's like a balanced flue if that helps.
I was hoping I might get away with not welding in a couple of plates as it access would be really tricky. the way the inside has been built up I'd have to remove a lot of the interior fixtures but if that's what I have to do then so be it. The picture shown isn't of my van
Thanks again
Regards, Howard

Edited by badgerinspace - 25 Jun 18 at 12:35
 Post Reply Post Reply