The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Jumble > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SA crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SA crank
    Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 17:57
I need an AAY crank from the 2.5 South African T3
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 18:03
What do you need it for?
Crasher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 09:55
I am building a 2.5 10v for a 1986 type 85 Coupe quattro we are restoring from the ground up, the owner wants more power but in a visually undetectable fashion and inside the original block showing the original engine number. I have built many of these over the last 30 years but my supply of cranks dried up when my source died three years ago. I don't want to go down the tall block 2.6 road as I find the 95.5mm stroke and 144mm rods make for a harsh engine, I like the 83x92.8 concept and have used this hundreds of times on the four cylinder block, incidentally I have one of those to build as well but 4 cylinder 92.8mm cranks are easy to find.

Edited by Crasher - 22 Jun 18 at 09:56
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 12:31
Very interesting as I have gone the 20v na route on many SA 2.5 and 2.6 Microbuses and Caravelles. I had a few spare 2.5 shafts but sold them mainly to S2 guys.

Hens teeth now! I regularly used to go back home and bring back 2.5 stuff but have stopped that now as its become too dangerous for us. Be careful when ordering cranks from breakers etc as they will quite happily send you one for a 2.3 or 2.6!

Sold my 1984 urq last year and miss having it, great cars.
guz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 18 at 09:04
Originally posted by Crasher Crasher wrote:

I am building a 2.5 10v for a 1986 type 85 Coupe quattro we are restoring from the ground up, the owner wants more power but in a visually undetectable fashion and inside the original block showing the original engine number. I have built many of these over the last 30 years but my supply of cranks dried up when my source died three years ago. I don't want to go down the tall block 2.6 road as I find the 95.5mm stroke and 144mm rods make for a harsh engine, I like the 83x92.8 concept and have used this hundreds of times on the four cylinder block, incidentally I have one of those to build as well but 4 cylinder 92.8mm cranks are easy to find.

That spraybooth looks familiar
location/moby number removed.
Crasher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 18 at 12:24
The people’s republic of rustyness
 Post Reply Post Reply