The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 12v in camper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 12v in camper
    Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 20:47
Hi
I don’t know if anyone can help. Got a T3 hi top, and at the weekend I plugged a fan/heater into the cigarette socket on the control panel located in the rear of the camper. Up until then, all our 12volt switches where working. Now, nothing is working on the control unit. We can not pump water, got no lights or fridge working on 12v. We checked the 35 amp fuse from the car battery to the leisure battery, and that was intact. We also checked the in line fuse on the leisure battery, and there was no sign of any fuses behind the zig unit. We bought a battery charger, thinking the leisure battery had discharged, but it showed as fully charged within about 5 minutes. But the water pump will work when the engine is turned on, but only for a short time and then it stops, but the lights still wouldn’t work. Can anyone tell us what the problem is please? PS The leisure battery and the main car battery are both new, so we are stumped what the problem is. Thanks
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 22:56
Have you tried the reset/trip switch on the zig unit?

Push the red button
Conniethecamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 18 at 23:02
Hi
It isn’t a zig unit. It is a unit fitted by Autosleeper. It shows how much water is in the tank underneath the van, and has a water pump switch, light switch, fridge switch and cigarette socket plus spare fuses. There isn’t a reset switch on the control panel. That is why we are stumped.
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 06:59
Hi, you clearly mentioned a zig unit in your post.

From my experience ( in my Karmann) when the control panel goes dead, it’s because the zig unit has tripped its fuse.

If you do not have a zig unit, whilst on 240v what’s charging your leisure batteries?

Ah thinking about it perhaps this is just when mine isn’t charging the leisure battery I have to reset the trip switch.

I don’t suppose you have a multimeter then?

For the entire panel to be dead, your going to have lost the main +12v into the control panel be it: a blown fuse, fallen connector or something melting behind the board. You mentioned you used the 12v socket to use something. Chances are you’ve blown a fuse somewhere.

Edited by Kai - 18 Jun 18 at 07:01

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 12:18
I have found thru the internet that it is a Labcraft CP 4 electrical control unit on the van, and not a zig unit. We have checked all the fuses that we know about, but the water pump will work, but only for a short time when the engine is running, and then it stops, but nothing else will work, no fridge, lights etc. We are stumped. We charged the leisure battery with a battery charger once we got on the camp site and plugged into the electric, so we had to buy a clip on electric light, as we had no lights in the van, other than the drivers door, and above the sliding side door, and then tried it, but still nothing. Any suggestions?
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 21:47
Your going to need a multimeter, wiring diagram and a competent person.

By all means what you are describing is a blown fuse or a buggared control panel, all caused by the use of the fan in that socket overloading a circuit. Sounds like the main fuse to the control panel has gone. Perhaps there is a sneaky fuse behind the control panel???

Sorry I can’t help you more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 21:56
Thank you anyway. Will need to get it sorted, as we can’t go off grid until we do.
Cheers
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:30
If your anywhere near Guildford I would recommend Pete Nice of air cooled technic to get you out camping again. Even worth a trip and camping in the Surrey hills.

http://www.aircooledtechnic.co.uk/

Best of luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:35
Cheers.
Been given a phone number of an mobile auto electrician near to where we live, so I am going to give him a ring tomorrow.
Thank you for your help.
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:38
Originally posted by Conniethecamper Conniethecamper wrote:

Cheers.
Been given a phone number of an mobile auto electrician near to where we live, so I am going to give him a ring tomorrow.
Thank you for your help.
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 22:42
Originally posted by Conniethecamper Conniethecamper wrote:

Cheers.
Thank you for your help.

If he takes longer then an hour to fix send him packing. All the best

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 08:28
Thank you. I will.
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 20:05
and let us know what it was... :)
Regards,
Kris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conniethecamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 18 at 22:30
Yes, I will. Will contact him next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply