The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild woes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 23:37
How did you set timing on the bottom half.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Kindasquirrelly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 23:40
I lined up the line with the tiny O on the flywheel with the pointer (visible through the slot in the bell housing. I checked this was the TDC mark when I had the head off.
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 18 at 23:47
Thanks, the reason I asked is that a diesel engine will pretty much run on any old oily stuff so the fact it won't run for you on easy start strongly suggested the cam timing was incorrect but this all seems to be good.

If its spinning freely then the next question would be oil pressure. If there is inadequate pressure to the hydraulic tappets then they won't open the valves enough therefore not enough compression and no run.

Can you do a compression test?

Edited by tellytubby - 19 Jun 18 at 00:04
Kindasquirrelly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindasquirrelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 17:10
Hello,
Can I change my username to Nobber?
I got it running this afternoon.
I did a compression test this morning, no compression..
Did some thinking and watched the video that showed me how to service the hydraulic lifters again.
I realised I had reassembled the smallest piston (with the one way valve) upside down!
It was slightly longer this way and would hold the valves open.
Took all the buckets out again and turned the piston around.
She started first spin.
Thank you very much Andy T, T3 Nev and tellytubby.
Your support has stopped me checking the insurance and having a bonfire.
Mike T.
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 17:14
Excellent news lesson learnt!
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 17:41
Love a happy ending!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 12:19
Beer
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12