The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shhh quiet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shhh quiet
    Posted: 12 Apr 18 at 13:37
I have a AHU tdi-90 with Aiden talbot re geared box.    It runs a standard JX air box mounted in the nearside snorkle hole.   The engine lid and Hump is covered in Silentcote heavy bitument stuff.  The camper started out as a Caravelle so has a fair amount of sound proofing and has factory roof lining/ paneling inside.  Above the engine there is a box structure (bed base) full of stuff and a bed above.     Every where i've had access to has had a good coating of sound proofing like under the seats etc.

The wife has mentioned traveling across Europe next year but has mentioned having a newer camper... Cry.   I'm struggling to think how to refine the T3 to more modern standards.   

Noise is definitely a big factor and there is a fair amount of it coming from the rear.  It does drown out the kids Tongue but it would be nice to loose a few decibels especially at 3000 rpm +.   Do any of the hydro mounts make a worth while contribution?

Exhaust needs some TLC it's not blowing but its rusting well and judging by the thickness of the soot inside the tip the perforated through pipe will be blocked.   I can build a system but anyone tried to build a longer system.  Or fitted an extra box between the turbo and main box?.  I/m not convinced it will make much difference as it is Just blowing noise out the back of the van and not into it.   

Other refinement I'm thinking about feel.  Currently it has 185-14 C rated tyres on Carat wheels.  How much better are 205-60-14 xl tyres for comfort?/ refinement.   I know the difference between runflats and normal tyres on my daily makes a marked difference.    

Comments/ Experience greatly appreciated.

Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
vilas69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vilas69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 18 at 18:30
Hi! Of everything I've done to soundproof our van, adding heavy bitumen stuff on the side panels made the most notorious difference. front doors are the hardest part since there's all the window/door mechanism in the way, but it was worth it! I did change all the rubbers in the front doors at the same time, so no more rattling also!

From my experience, most of the noise is created by large metal panels vibrating, not directly from the engine... ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply