The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stalling Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjmac87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling Issue
    Posted: 10 Apr 18 at 10:36
Hi all,

So I've had my current T3 for around a year now (T3 1.9 Petrol DG 1988, automatic choke) but over the winter period and still ongoing even as the weather is getting warmer, when I start from cold, start driving around and I break to come to a stop or idle at a junction/traffic, the engine just shudders and and stalls, the battery light comes on and everything is dead, a quick turn of the key and everything is back running again. After warming up a bit and coming to idle, the shuddering is still there and the battery light flickers, the engine is really struggling to stay running still. As soon as you start to put a little pressure on the accelerator, no more than 4-6% the engine will try to stall, if you go slightly beyond that, no problem at all.

I have also noticed that when breaking while still in gear and above ~1k revs, the exhaust backfiring tons. Loads of little clangs/taps coming from it.

Shortly before the winter period, the van started from cold start no problem at all, but the 4-6% issue I mentioned above did start occurring back then. We did get stuck in a ton of traffic and the fan in the front came on and made a horrendous sound.

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated as I am completely clueless on this sort of stuff and would love to learn more.

Kind Regards,

Michael
mjmac
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 18 at 22:09
Don't know the engine mate but the first thing I'd check are the vacuum hoses and any other air leaks. I'd also get a haynes manual so that when people give advice you can look it up.
To check for air leaks get a can of carb cleaner, and with the engine running spray it around the carb and inlet manifold and listen for a change in the engine note.
There are other possible causes but start with the simple and cheap fixes first.
The fan could just be loose or the bearing is on the way out, with the engine off get a hold on it and rock it side to side etc and feel for movement.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

mjmac87 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjmac87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 18 at 09:52
Thanks for the feedback AndyT. I have the Haynes manual for it, the chap who I got the van from left it in the van for me :)

I was planning on putting in some redex too. I'd read somewhere when googling about the issue to try some. I'll deffo do the carb cleaner stuff too and take a look at the fan.
mjmac
 Post Reply Post Reply