The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vw t5 1.9 54 plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 18 at 11:07
The only things I can think of are-  Make sure the battery hasn't got low during all the cranking, if the cranking speed is low it won't go.

Go over everything again and make sure you haven't left anything unplugged/disconnected.

If there is any air left in the system it should go back to the tank but it may take a fair bit of cranking, remember to rest the starter as David mentioned.

It's possible the tandem pump has been damaged by the petrol but you need a pressure gauge to test it.  I think probably not.

What happened with the cam sprocket?  To check it properly you need the correct crank locking tool (with pulley off) and cam locking pin.  I didn't think there were any correct marks on the crank pulley on that engine but I stand to be corrected.  Unless the cam belt is very new it would be worth fitting a new cam belt kit.  Whatever you do though you need to be certain the valve timing is spot on because otherwise it won't start.  Good luck!
2004 2.5 174
DaveHobie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 18 at 13:13
Remove your top cam cover only. Most important - make a line from the cam bolt washer in the centre right onto the pulley. You will need this for a reference mark only - it is nothing to do with cambelt settings, it helps to see how far the pulley has turned when doing adjustments. If you don't come right then you can always turn it back to this mark.

On the crank there is a mark on the top of your crank pulley - cutout about 1 to 2mm thick. Turn crank till that mark is at about the 10 o'clock position - then you will see a mark on the front timing cover - think it is a rectangle or a sticking out dot - old age I can't remember. The cam pulley is a vernier pulley which means it is two pulleys in one. What you need to check is do these two pulleys line up with each other.

Check if your cam pulley plate (the plate on the back of the pulley) has the 2 fingers lined up with a mark on the plastic timing cover  on the right hand side - front (cover is just under the head). There is a arrow mark and a number there - the mark must be in the middle of the two fingers. If it is then your cam belt is set in the right ballpark.

If no then you will need to insert a drill in between the cambelt pulley at about the 7 o'clock position where there is a long oval slot on the cam pulley.  Then loosen but DO NOT remove the 3 bolts, get a 5 or 6mm drill, then turn the crank pulley with I think an 18 spanner until you can get the drill bit in between both pulleys. Remember to move in very small increments.  Then tighten the three bolts and remove drill bit - your timing is now in the ball park - it will start. Can fine tune it with vcds etc later.
Do not loosen the centre cam pulley bolt at all - don't even think of it.

You can check the size of drill bit before hand as it will go into the pulley but not all the way unless
the timing is spot on - you can feel it stop halfway or if you are lucky it will go all the way through. The drill bit will be a snug fit - it can slide easily but have no slop.

Long winded way to try explain but there is too many variables - here you can eliminate one of them easily. It is harder to explain than to do. Watch a youtube video to get an idea of the pulley setup - then it is easy, but they all have the covers off and a special tool on. You do not need to remove anything but the top cam cover and turn the engine at the crank. Disconnect the battery for safety as well. 

I would suggest adding a good two stroke oil or a fuel additive to help lubricate everything as there was petrol in the system - petrol removes the lubricating qualities of the diesel. 
Keith connor View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 18 at 17:42
Still caint get this van to start I think the injectors are worn where is the best place to get 4 second hand one from.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 18 at 18:08
Originally posted by Keith connor Keith connor wrote:

Was driving along in town lost power van would not take the throttle stopped van outside my house and now my van will not start no error codes came up.

All four injectors can't be suddenly 'worn' at the same time..  You need to get the compressions checked if you are certain the valve timing is now correct. 
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12