The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spare wheel 15"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare wheel 15"
    Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 01:31
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my wheels to 15".  Mainly to have a wider choice of good tyres so will keep the size close to stock at 205/65/R15.  I'm currently on 205/70/R14 which are a pain to get good ones.

My spare wheel is stock 185/80/R14.  Will this be good enough with 15" rims or do I need to shop for a 15" spare wheel too?  The overall diameter is pretty similar, 5mm difference.
'90 T3 Bluestar
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 10:57
Perfectly OK. You'd even be better than most new cars that run a spacesaver as your rolling diameter is near enough identical.
The difference is 5 revolutions per mile:
https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 18 at 15:19
As long as you don't have a Syncro, it doesn't matter. Hovever, if i had a big difference betveen the spare and the other wheels, and had to drive for a long distance,(1000km+) i think i would have put the spare on the front.

On my Syncro i have 195/70-15, but the spare is 185/80-14, so almost identical. On a Syncro the tyres have to be exactly the same Dimension, even equally woren. I am planing to put som offroad-look tyres on the 15" Wheels, but keep the same spare, so i am about to instaal a decoupler
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply