The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum Connections of 1.9l WBX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum Connections of 1.9l WBX
    Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 02:33
Hi I am new here and new to the T3 ownership experience so please bear with me as I might be asking silly questions. The van in question is a 1985 7 seat Transporter. It has changed a few hands before ending up with me. before posing here, I did try the search function to find out if this question has been asked/answered earlier but it seems that this function does not work or I am not using it correctly. So I must apologize if this has been answered earlier.

So here goes. I want some help in figuring out the vacuum line connections. When I got the van many of the lines were missing/disconnected. I already have the Haynes manual but it is pretty silent about these connections. Just says mark them before disconnection. 

There are a number of different configurations of the 1.9l engine with reference to the air cleaner/preheat/emissions etc. On my van there is a cylindrical air cleaner takes in air via a plastic intake plenum. This plenum has a vacuum operated valve of some sort. It also has two flexible cardboard hoses entering it from the right side exhaust manifold. Don't know where this vacuum valve is to get its vacuum feed from. I am guessing that when the van engine is cold, preheated air enters the engine and once it is warmed up, the plenum valve diverts normal air to the engine. 

There is also a electrically operated vacuum solenoid located on the left side of the engine bay right next to the ignition amplifier. This solenoid has electrical connections and vacuum connections. What is the purpose of this solenoid and how is it electrically connected (one wire is earth the other is missing). Also the vacuum lines are missing.

So if anyone has a similar set up, I would request you to please help me out to get this van back the way it is meant to be. Sharing any pictures will also help. 

Thanks in advance.

Sol.
msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 18 at 07:53
Well since no one took a stab at this one I have been bumbling around in the engine bay to try to figure out things myself. I have come to the conclusion that there are two categories of vacuum needed for this engine. Please feel free to correct me as all this is purely my understanding of the DG engine. 

1 - The first category is the vacuum we can say, is needed by the carburettor itself. This is fed via two hoses off the carb body to the two vacuum dash pots (choke hold down and the second barrel butterfly valve). 

2 - the second category of vacuum needs are the distributor vacuum advance and the brake servo and the intake air temperature controller. 

3. On my van there is an electrically operated vacuum solenoid placed on the left side of the engine bay. I understand this to be actuated when the a/c is turned on and it applies vacuum to a dash pod (missing on my van) that is supposed to rev up the engine when the a/c is running.  

Any one having a picture of this actuator will be helpful in tracking it down.

Cheers 

Sol. 

Edited by msabbasi - 19 Mar 18 at 05:35
msabbasi View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msabbasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 18 at 05:41
Above is the air filter assembly set up in my van. I have a question about item 12 (air temperature controller). On my van it does not seem to hold vacuum. Is that normal? 
 Post Reply Post Reply