The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant Temp Sensor more than one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddlingthrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Temp Sensor more than one?
    Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 13:03
Hi all, I'm hoping as a complete newbie someone can help! We've got a 53 plate T5 1.9 T28 with a temperature coolant warning light on! We've changed what we thought was the only sensor on the bottom of rad, but light is still on. After a bit of research we are now thinking there's another sensor well hidden & fiddly to get too RH side of head? Also we bought the one sensor from gsf (brass ended 2 pin I think) but now found there's a four pin listed on gsf but not on other part suppliers? Just trying to go through a process of elimination with the warning light! It's not over heating and no coolant loss. The temp needle goes up to around 90 then drops. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 15:53
It is on the RH side (the opposite end to the cam belt).  It faces backwards towards the bulkhead.  It's known as the G62 coolant temperature sensor if you are using GSF/VW.  The one in the rad will probably be for switching the coolant fan.  I think it's a two pin but don't quote me on that!

It is completely different on the 2.5's for anyone else looking..   
2004 2.5 174
Muddlingthrough View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddlingthrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 15:57
Thank you! We thought this was the case really appreciate the reply

Edited by Muddlingthrough - 03 Feb 18 at 15:59

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddlingthrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 16:28
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

It is on the RH side (the opposite end to the cam belt).  It faces backwards towards the bulkhead.  It's known as the G62 coolant temperature sensor if you are using GSF/VW.  The one in the rad will probably be for switching the coolant fan.  I think it's a two pin but don't quote me on that!

It is completely different on the 2.5's for anyone else looking..   

Ok another question is it two pin or four pin? The Rad one we changed was 2 pin and I've searched G62 sensor, found a Febi (VW) one but shows four pin? Confused
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 17:42
I'm not sure.  Your best bet is to take it out to be sure because sometimes they are colour coded as well.  
2004 2.5 174

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddlingthrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 20:01
Thanks we will
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 18 at 21:08
Actually don't take it right out yet, just check which one it is.  That way you can just do a quick swap without loosing much coolant. Smile
2004 2.5 174
cat3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 12:25
I'm sure there are two different G62 coolant temperature sensors & both have a different numbers of pins.
There's definitely a grey coloured one, (that's what is fitted to my AXC engine) but I can't remember how many pins that one has or the colour of the other one, sorry.
I'd check with TPS, they will be able to tell you which one is fitted to your engine. I'd also buy a new O-ring too & change that & the sensor.
There's a black plastic circlip type clip holding the sensor in it's housing. Like T5 TDI says, if you have the new parts ready to hand you can swop them over quickly, that way you will not need to top up you coolant after.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 13:47
Yes it's definitely worth replacing the O ring.  The sensor on the radiator isn't for the cooling fan as I said earlier, it's a sensor for the outlet temp on the radiator.  And it's a G83 rather than G62.  I presume the fans are switched by the ECU via a large fan control unit like the 2.5's are.  

I don't think there is a second G62 on the 1.9's but I'm happy to be corrected!  On older VW's it was quite common to have one for the ECU and a separate one for the Gauge.    
2004 2.5 174
cat3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 20:02
Just to avoid any confusion, when I said there are at least two different G62 sensors, I didn't mean there's two fitted to each engine. Each engine only has one G62 engine coolant temperature sensor, but it can be one of two different sensors !
 Post Reply Post Reply