The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opel corsa C power steering LHD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opel corsa C power steering LHD
    Posted: 23 Jan 18 at 10:08
Hello, this post is a reference for those who wish to mount a corsa C column on a LHD bus.
I've bought a raw kit (the one that has to be cut and welded, not ready to fit).
I'm almost there, just some random notes (pics will follow)

- The motor of my column comes in contact with the heater core housing, which has to be slightly trimmed to make it fit (the hole can be filled with some black sealant, and can be done in place)

- The lower spline of the electric column is in a lower position than the original column, and is no longer aligned with the bulkhead spline. Because of that, you have to use the original corsa linkage with 2 UJs. One end has to be cut, and welded to one of the two spline holders of the original rubberized linkage, which is no longer reusable. I see many pictures online of a modified corsa linkage with just 1 UJ, but I can't see how this could possibly work!

- The original bulkhead gaiter is now too short and with a hole too small to fit the new linkage. I thought about using some rubber shifter gaiter from some other car, suggestions are welcome. Worst case, I can enlarge the hole but that would mean some air would surely pass thru.
babylon by bus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babylon by bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 18 at 22:50
Will you still pass inspection with this kit fitted?
yeah,it's the punky reggae party,
and it's tonight,
yeah,it's the punky reggae party,and it's alright.
mastakilla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastakilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 18 at 08:56
As you may know, in Italy any modification done to cars is illegal. 
As my van already has an AAZ engine, adding an electric power steering kit does not change things much.
That said, regular inspections are not as thorough as UK MOTs, they simply verify emissions, headlights, brakes and engine noise. 
And as with many other things here, being friend with the right people goes a long way: only real issue would be that in case of a serious accident (death/injury involved), if the insurance company inspection determines that your vehicle is modified and you don't have a specific "right of redress waiver" agreement with them about this case, you may be in for a lot of trouble.
I'll make sure that I insure it with this specific clause ticked.

Post Reply Post Reply