The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Might need to re-frame front for new Windscreen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Might need to re-frame front for new Windscreen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Might need to re-frame front for new Windscreen
    Posted: 16 Jan 18 at 18:26
As I have said in previous posts, it is nearly impossible to find parts for the LT in Canada. While I have been lucky on some occasions, I almost always have to order parts from UK or Germany. This was not an issue when the parts were small, but now I am faced with a larger challenge and may end up going a different route to make a fix. 

So yesterday while driving through one of the mountain passes in BC a rock was kicked up and punched a hole through my windscreen. I managed to block the hole with some handy-dandy duct-tape but obviously will need to get this addressed before I continue my road trip. 

I am in Vancouver, so I have lots of resources to draw on, however no one is able to find a LT28 windshield anywhere. 

If I can't find a windshield here in Western Canada I may end up bringing the Van the a metal shop where they can install a new frame that will fit flat-glass, therefore making it infinitely easier to get any cracked windscreens replaced. 

Has anyone done this, and if so what are some things I need to pay attention too? Or is this a major no-no?

1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 18 at 22:49
Kenworth K series.  130/300
Peterbuilt MidRanger 265

Based on LT cabs out of MAN in Brasil.  Sold in Canada/USA but not popular.   I checked the measurements from a glass shop but haven't test fit one.  

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 12:45
Hope you get it sorted quick mate.
Do you not have windscreen cover as part of insurance.
I know nothing about how the system works in Canada, but in the UK I'd leave it to them to sort out.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yukon1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 06:21
No insurance does not cover glass, especially since it is a foreign vehicle. However I have found a replacement. Turns out the Peterbilt 265 '91-96 have the same glass, same with the Kenworth K300. So I have one coming all I have to worry about now is that my frame is not too rotted out. 

1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 12:38
Clap Good researching!
Just spotted this and it looks pretty similar to the LT or VW-Man Cabs.
http://www.miniworlds.de/Vorbild2/truck_peterbilt_265_ee_01.jpg but the other images that come upon searching look nothing like the LT. Kenworth K300 also looks the same... Wow!
Perhaps body panels etc will be interchangable with LT's too? Good luck...
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
 Post Reply Post Reply