The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Cruise retrofit issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Cruise retrofit issue
    Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 03:13
Ive done my research first on the whole web and not found an answer so here goes...
Ive just fitted the retrofit cruise to my 54 T5 Kombi with electric windows, no mfd and no rear wiper. The stalk I got has rear wiper on but this wont make a difference so says the VW dealer. It is not vagcom’ed for the cruise yet.
On install, the mains work and the washers but indicators and wipers dont. Horn also u/s.
In summary, my mains got stuck on the other week on some foggy North Devon lane. I deduced the stalk needed replacing so went for cruise for an extra 20 quid.
I have spent a very frustrating day installing it and I know one thing. That yellow and black cable is in the correct place. How do I know? 5 hours of dedicated time, multiple hand lacerations and much abuse of some naughty words. Its on the bottom black block. Damn you ebox.
I have been left with one odd plug that the vw instructions dont cover. Tried uploading pic with no luck but its black on the end of a black cable. It is not the F or B cable for the control box and has a usb sized plug on it.
No fuses are blown. All control unit blocks are firmly in.
Heeeeeeeelp!
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 10:27
It's worth checking all of the fuses again (even if you think you have identified the correct one) with a meter or test lamp but not by eye.  Even though you have the electric windows make sure the part number of the J519 is one that supports cruise control.  There are a couple of links to lists of which part numbers work for retro fitting CC on my post here: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/onboard-voltage-supply-unit-j519_topic92128.html  ;

Edited by T5 TDI - 06 Jan 18 at 10:28
2004 2.5 174
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 13:42
Thanks for that.
My control unit is suitable and in the ‘high’ catagory according to rosstech.
I have gone through the fuses again with a multimeter but all fine including under bonnet.
Now Im feeling stumped. I could get the cc coded and see if that works but even then, still no indicators.
The quest continues....I suspect it will come down to the missing rear wiper!
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 14:06
Fixed!!!!!
Read and reread the instructions. Then reread them again.
When you first do the control box part with the B block, you remove a black wire. This displaced wire plugs into the black USB sized plug on the loom pictured above. Obvious. In a not obvious way!
So much illation just occured I cant describe it.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 16:37
 Good news!  I wouldn't be without cruise control on any van now.Thumbs Up 
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply