The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bled brakes and I still have to pump pedal. WHY?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bled brakes and I still have to pump pedal. WHY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bled brakes and I still have to pump pedal. WHY?
    Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 02:48
So due to a rather ravenous squirrel or rodent I was forced to replace the brake line that connects from the brake pressure regulator to my rear wheels. Little did I know the rodent accomplished this months before I found out, which meant that my pressure regulator had more than enough time to rust and blow a seal.

TWO MONTHS LATER: (let me know if I messed up somewhere)

I finally got the pressure regulator and installed it. Then I bled the brakes, starting on the rear passenger -> Rear Driver ->front Driver -> Front Passenger. We did a two man bleed, I was underneath the van with a clear flexible hose attached to the screw valves. I  had my brother pump the brakes while I watched the hose and the fluid until I saw no more bubbles, then I closed the valve while he had the pedal pushed all the way down.

The issue is that I still have soft brakes. I have to pump the brake twice before it stiffens up. I know I have functional brakes and the pedal doesn't slowly sink but stays in place after it gets firm, so the seals are good. I realize this is an air in the brakes issue, but I have no idea where or how since we drained all the air from the lines. 

Am I missing a step or is there a larger problem at play that I am unaware about? I thought this was strait forward. 
1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 08:02
Isn't there a bleed nipple on the regulator also?

Could be wrong .........
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 11:43
If you have a solid brake pedal when you have 'pumped' them up first thing I'd check is the rear brake shoe adjustment, the rear wheels need to only just spin freely with the brakes off, if there is too big a gap between the shoes and the drum then your first 'pump of the pedal will be just 'taking up the slack' so to speak and just moving the pads closer to the drums, then the second 'pump' will operate the brakes as they should work, might be worth a look.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Yukon1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 17 at 19:30
I didn't think of that, thanks!
1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply