Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C
    Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 12:45
Ok so my air con was emptied (wont go into the story) but I read online that it'll be OK like that as long as it ain't run BUT I've recently read that it could kill the pump even if not turned on.

Can anyone tell me which is correct?
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 22:16
Hi Onefut Smile  If it was mine I would remove the rubber coupling to suspend the A/C physically.  I am absolutely not an A/C guru but because the compressor on a 2.5 is turning all the time the engine is running (unlike most other A/C systems with an electro-magnetic clutch) the oil which is normally added with the gas will not be present so the system could theoretically run without lubrication for the internal seals. I don't know if this is correct but I prefer to be on the conservative side. 😊

Edited by T5 TDI - 04 Dec 17 at 23:48
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 11:12
Yes, remove the Gates rubber coupling if there is no refrigerant charge, the compressor does have an oil sump, but the recommendation by VW is to disconnect 
the coupling or there is a risk of overheating the compressor. Seal any open pipes connections or other open areas.
When reassembled and recharged, remember to turn the compressor a few turns by hand to lube front seal before starting up.
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 17 at 14:55
Originally posted by Stryne Stryne wrote:

Yes, remove the Gates rubber coupling if there is no refrigerant charge, the compressor does have an oil sump, but the recommendation by VW is to disconnect 
the coupling or there is a risk of overheating the compressor. Seal any open pipes connections or other open areas.
When reassembled and recharged, remember to turn the compressor a few turns by hand to lube front seal before starting up.

Thumbs Up  

It's fairly easy to get the compressor coupling off as long as you are reasonably handy with spanners. Smile 
2004 2.5 174
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 12:51
Cheers folks
It's been like this a while so I fear I may have already buggered it

i thought there was a clutch on the front?!

Edited by Onefut - 11 Dec 17 at 12:57
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 21:10
There is a 'shear clutch' on the front of the compressor.  Since we already have a stripable rubber coupling I'm not sure what is the purpose of the shear clutch.  I know that it can fail itself, perhaps after a seized freewheel goes unnoticed over time.  You can easily check that the freewheel isn't seized (see my video in the modifications section) and confirm at the same time that the shear clutch actually isn't wobbling about.

You might get away with it, depends on what else happened with your A/C..       
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 23:25
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

There is a 'shear clutch' on the front of the compressor.  Since we already have a stripable rubber coupling I'm not sure what is the purpose of the shear clutch.  I know that it can fail itself, perhaps after a seized freewheel goes unnoticed over time....    

I tend to think that the compressor drive is actually another damping device going by its design, more protection for the engine gear train. The one on mine was wrecked only after the freewheel seized.

Edit: just to add that the compressor does not have the common elect. magnetic clutch, it is controlled by an internal pressure valve and its electronic circuitry controls. That is another reason to not go poking around with 12V on the compressor wiring.

Edited by Stryne - 11 Dec 17 at 23:32
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
 Post Reply Post Reply