The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 2.5 TDI alternator removal!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 2.5 TDI alternator removal!!
    Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 07:08
Hi All, new to the forum :)
I have a T30 LWB 4motion with a worn alternator/Gates coupling, trying to remove it but its turning into a much more difficult job than I thought..
I have it over an inspection pit, pulled the front bumper and have moved the radiators forward out of the way (still connected). After removing the air intake manifold I finally found 2 spline bolts above the alternator, which appear to be holding down the top of the bracket. However, when loosening these it still wont budge! I've read that there's a third bolt somewhere but cant find it, any help on this much appreciated as I need to get this van sorted!!
I'm now wondering whether I need to remove the aircon compressor and front engine mount to get at it from underneath, but don't want to start messing with support brackets if I don't need to..
Any advice much appreciated, after a lot of searching online I cant find any useful photos!
Many thanks :)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 22:17
Welcome Smile  From memory I think there are three bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the block. Remember that officially you are not supposed to take alternator off without the bracket to preserve the alternator alignment.

As far as I know you cannot remove the alternator without removing the front as you have.  You can however replace the rubber coupling or the alternator regulator by using the engine mounting/compressor method, but if you know that you need a complete alternator replacement there is no point in trying to do it from underneath.  I can't say if your 4wd is the same but I think it will be.  My guess is that you are missing the top bolt of the triangular bolt configuration.  (It's even harder to find without the front off!) Tongue  Good luck.

2004 2.5 174
gR@HaM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 07:25
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm hoping its just the case of finding the third bolt as have just been advised by someone else that the PAS pump, aircon pump and front engine mount assembly all have to be removed as apparently the only way to pull the alternator is to get at it from underneath!!
Ill continue the search tonight for that third bolt, looking at the below photo it seems I could have missed one on the lower RHS..

VW Transporter T5 2.5 TDI Alternator mounting bracket
gR@HaM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 07:26
Heres mine (I'm working on finding the oil leak!!)
No automatic alt text available.

Edited by gR@HaM - 23 Nov 17 at 07:27
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 18:23
I have only ever had to undo the bolts from the underneath, and from there the top one is the is the most difficult to get at. I thought once you had the front off the alternator came out from the top.
There is a handy video on youtube of a couple of Danish guys changing the alternator coupling. I will try and find the link later if I can.
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 18:28
2004 2.5 174
gR@HaM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 08:02
Thanks, yes I've seen the video but as you said unfortunately it doesn't show removal of the alternator.
I thought I had it last night as found a spline bolt at the back just below where the coupling fits, it was tricky to loosen off due to the coupling being in the way. I finally got it off but the alternator still wouldn't budge :(
I didn't have much time to work on it but just before finishing up felt another bolt further down on the RHS, this time underneath the pulley - will have a go at that one later tonight..
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 19:44
I would have thought you would have found them by now.  There are two dowels on two of the bolts so perhaps it's just stuck on them.. If you put a bar between the alternator and block (obviously making sure you are not levering on the loom or anything plastic) you should see some movement or it might just pop off. 
2004 2.5 174
2011van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 19 at 21:20
Hi
Did you ever get the alternator out? I’m having exactly the same issue...removed the 2 long bolts and it still won’t budge. Also the belt is still around the alternator spindle and fairly tight...how do you go about getting that off please?
 Post Reply Post Reply