The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LT28 going on a 16k km road trip, need your help.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT28 going on a 16k km road trip, need your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT28 going on a 16k km road trip, need your help.
    Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 20:53
I hope I am posting in the right place. 

I live in Northern Canada and my partner and I are planning on driving south for the winter (Central America is our final destination) to avoid the already ridiculously cold weather (-30c). My main concern during this trip is that my 1995 Mk1 LT28 2.4TD will inevitably have some sort of mechanical issue. So my mission for the duration of the trip will be to service the crap out of the D24tic engine and make sure everything is well lubed, timed and maintained in order to avoid as much trouble as possible. 

This is where your help comes in.

I have searched everywhere for manuals that would match my vehicle. I am unsure how much the models changed between the 1980-90s and which manual will suit my needs. 
I know it will be near impossible to find the manual for my exact vehicle, but are other manuals close enough that it shouldn't matter?  

For example: (These are manuals posted on Brick-Yard)

Will the 1982 2.4 Diesel engine shop manual be a good source of information or has everything changed that it makes it irrelevant?

Same thing for the 83' running gear manual or the VW Florida manual?

Can I use the Volvo D25tic engine manual even though it is a different vehicle?

Lastly, do any of you have handy maintenance checklists you like to complete in order to make sure your LT is in tip top shape?

I have already changed all the liquids and filters, but is there anything else that is less obvious? 
I am a handy guy and have done a lot of my own mechanical work before, but this vehicle is a whole different ball game. 

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Edited by Yukon1 - 21 Nov 17 at 21:09
1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 12:17
The short answer to the manual issue, is that not much changed.

You can download everything from https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do  for 7Euros+. You do need to open an account but you only need an hour to get the lot. It is all in German though, but numbers and pictures translate wellSmile

There is a Haynes manual which AndyT will be uploading to the MediaFire account soon which covers all the basics, but not the diesel part.

We have a few of your countrymen on here, I will give them a nudge.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Yukon1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yukon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 20:00
Great, thanks for the info! 

So in short, almost any LT Mk1 manual should cover the majority of what I need. I take it there were minimal changes to the basic design from 82 to 95?

As for the engine, maybe Volvo Manual for the D24Tic will be close enough? I hope that the fact that the engine sits in the front in a Volvo and is not between the seats, doesn't change the design too much.

What I am most worried about is that there is something obvious that I am overlooking simply because I am new to the VW van scene. 

I would take it into a VW tech to get fully checked out, but I am from the Yukon (twice the size of the UK with a population of 30k) and we dont have anything regarding VW mechanic options until I drive a couple thousand kilometers south. 

So any suggestions, tips or checklists would be amazing!

Edited by Yukon1 - 22 Nov 17 at 20:00
1995 LT28 2.4TD D24TIC
God help those who buy a VW in Northern Canada
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 21:28
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 21:07
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 12:04
http://www.finetuningperformance.com/

Although a few miles south, Seattle, Chris has 2no 4x4 and a Florida.

The LT has nothing to do with the 'VW Scene'. There are very few things which could be termed as common.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 13:18
The 2,4 I6 has a construction closer to the 2,5TDI I5 engine, with the same water pump and cam belt systems.
In the 20.000km i have had my Karmann LT, 2 things has happend, 1) The water hose from back end of the block, going on the right side of the "engine hole" to the closing valv for the defroster burst. The problem with that part, at least on my -87 is that it is some thing like 28mm on the engine side and 12 on the defroster end, so it can only bee bought from VW Classic Parts. 2) i blew a injector pipe. Had to get one from a junkyard. 
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 17 at 05:38
Hi Chris!  Nice to see another LT here in Canada.  We have an 89 LT31 Florida in Southern Ontario.  I keep spare parts here should you run into trouble, even a spare gearbox!   

Best of luck on your travels, if you end up near Toronto please let me know!

Post Reply Post Reply