The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 AFN to 1.8T AMK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9 AFN to 1.8T AMK
    Posted: 03 Nov 17 at 21:17
Hope this is the right plate to post this.

So, I've got a AFN and flipped Passat box and adaptor plate courtesy of Ultimate engineering in my Cheetah.

I've never been blown away with the performance of the conversion of 3 years now. It's geared all wrong and wants more power. On a run to north Devon it's still me crawling up the hills in second gear with a mile long tail back in my mirrors. Let's not go into the turbo intake temperatures which generally are at 50 degrees celcious.

My dilemma,

I've bought a 2001 S3 as a daily driver and it's a money pit. Has a solid engine but I'm losing interest as as to be expected after 16 years the suspsension bushes are knackered, corroded road springs, rear wheel bearings, split CV's and broken engine mount. But... it drives spot on and the engine is mega with plenty of poke.

How much trouble would it be to fit the 1.8T in place of the 1.9TDI.

I'm lead to believe my diesel sump is not compatible with the AMK. Is this the case or am I miss informed.

I'm lead to believe the cross flow design of the petrol head won't fit underneath my engine hatch at the 50 degree angle.

What would my diesel gear ratios be like with the petrol. Apparently I have the 90HP diesel estate gearbox which is the lowest geared Passat diesel box.

I don't drive fast, but would very much appreciate being able to cruise along the motorway in 5th gear at 55MPH or even 65/70mph would be astonishing. Currently in 5th I'm at 2100RPM (I think) and just slowly lose momentum until I drop to 4th, pick up the speed again, into 5th just to lose it all again.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I'm about 95% close to buying another car to replace the S3 and need to decide if I sell it whole or break it and keep the engine.

Edited by Kai - 03 Nov 17 at 21:19
ben.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 14:34
What did you decide to do with the engine in the end? 

I used to own a S3 with modifications to the performance, my only concern would be the torque for pulling a heavy bus up a hill? allthough saying that im not sure on the torque figures of each engine hah.. 

Be a cool modification though. Intercooler setup would be required and various electrical modifications. 

Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 18 at 19:34
I’ve gotten no where with this. It’s too bloody cold outside!!

I’ve hardly moved my van over winter, just small trips here and there in it.

The S3 is still rolling but I’m mindful the MOT is due in May which is approaching rapidly. It won’t pass without throwing money at it which I am reluctant to do as it’s worth very little money compared to what I have already spent on the lemon.

A 1.8T into a T3 is a common conversion In the states. To do this at the 50degrees requires a custom intake. I think the diesel sumo might work but I’m unsure.

I’m tempted to modify my AFN. It’s currebtly has the Passat intercooler fitted. I’m thinking of changing this for a charge cooler. Once I’ve sorted my hot hot hot intake temperatures I’ll have it remapped, ideally a remap with bigger turbo and injectors.

This would be cheaper and easier then going down the 1.8t swap.

Perhaps the S3 will become a spider sanctuary in the garden until the one day I decide to do this conversion. But with 4 young kids time is precious.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 18:58
Originally posted by Kai Kai wrote:

I don't drive fast, but would very much appreciate being able to cruise along the motorway in 5th gear at 55MPH or even 65/70mph would be astonishing. Currently in 5th I'm at 2100RPM (I think) and just slowly lose momentum until I drop to 4th, pick up the speed again, into 5th just to lose it all again.  

I'd find out what's wrong with the 1.9... should be able to cruise at 70 - 80 mph piss of piss with an AFN?

I could with my old AAZ...     
Kai View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 19:19
I was under the impression it would shift, however I’m putting it down to the hearing and the fact my Cheetah has the aerodynamics of high rise tower.

Only fault code the AFN logs is the one for the high output of the alternator, guess it’s missing.

S3 is now redundant.
 Post Reply Post Reply