The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1Y Engine Cylinder Head Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1Y Engine Cylinder Head Question
    Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 15:17
Hi!

My misses drove my beloved T3 1.9d 1Y with no water and cooked it until it stopped dead. When I took off the head, I see there are some little cracks between inlet and exhaust valves. I am guessing this isnt normal as Ive never seen it before? Anyone who can shed some light? :D 

Cheers
Arthur
1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

So Far, new seats, new wood floor, new rear bearings, new front upper arm bushes, new steering rack, new clutch master cylinder....
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 17 at 16:44
Completely normal. Not many 1.9 heads without those crack. Too high revs when cold.

You can ignore them.

So long as the pre ignition cups are damaged or cracked.
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 09:39
Originally posted by Arthur Sweden Arthur Sweden wrote:

My misses drove my beloved T3

Should that not state  "My beloved misses drove my T3" LOL

What's the plan for the engine. Are you just stripping it down at this point to see the extent of the damage?
Driving it till it stopped sounds like it seized. If that is the case then I'd be a little concerned the block or head may be warped as a result.
As stated those cracks between the valves are fairly common due to morons driving a cold engine too hard before it has had a chance to warm through properly, thermal expansion rates and all that. Same sort of thing happens with cracked exhaust manifolds.

EDIT: If your pistons have picked up but the bores look salvageable with a hone then I'm fairly sure I have a very good set of 1Y pistons, rings and rods here.
The pound is as strong as loose skitter at the moment so it could be economically viable to ship them over.

Edited by danstervan - 02 Nov 17 at 10:37
Arthur Sweden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 14:04
Thanks for the help guys! Its actually my beloved T3 and my ex misses now LOL maybe cooking the engine was a going away present from her? hehe

I should say also that the engine was running after the overheating, but it was like a jacuzzi in the expansion tank and there was a lot of oil. 

The head is cleaned and the head gasket is replaced. The head is sitting back on the block now but I have a few questions about timing if anyone can help! :)

Is there a page or sheet that someone can send me on how to set the camshaft timing? and is it normal that the camshaft pulley has no woodruff key? There is a slot in the camshaft for the key but no slot in the camshaft pulley. Seems weird but maybe its OK?

Thanks again for the help guys! 

Cheers
Art
1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

So Far, new seats, new wood floor, new rear bearings, new front upper arm bushes, new steering rack, new clutch master cylinder....
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 15:08
Arthur Sweden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 17 at 17:44
Tks a million OB1, I got the head back on now and I should be ready to start the engine Friday sometime, fingers crossed! :D
1984 T3 1.6d Reimo Roof.

Post Reply Post Reply