The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine
    Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 15:37
Hi Folks 

I am now beginning to take steps towards my long-range goal of rebuilding a spare JX block that I acquired. I would seriously like some help with this undertaking since I have never done such a thing previously. It will still be some time before I actually begin the work > in the meantime I would now like to begin to read and study up on just exactly is going to be required in terms of procedure, tools, skills, specs, shop help... etc. Does anyone know of any good threads (here or elsewhere) documenting this? Any other sources of info which might be useful? 

My extra JX block is in very good condition except for that one cylinder got a bit rusty during storage and will certainly need some machining. So can I assume that my first major step would be to find a top notch local machinist - take the block there - get their opinions regarding what work will be required? 

How else can I now prepare myself for this project? 

Thanks! 
Edward
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 19:53
If you don't already have it, google for the Bentley manual, VW_VANAGON Workshop manual.pdf and download that.
The manual will give you all the dimensions and tolerances and how to measure them.
If the cylinder is only 'a little rusty', it may be restorable just by honing, (which you should do anyway).
Others probably know better than me but my feeling is that it is so easy to replace everything when the block is out and so much harder when it is in the vehicle, that it's not worth while trying to save a few quid..
So, I would sort the bores and fit new rings.
Measure the journals and fit new shells.
Change all the seals and gaskets and fit new oil pump.
Use assembly lubricant and don't forget to prime the lubrication system.
Almost forgot, before getting the bores done, take those four jets that cool the piston skirt off and make sure they are clear. After honing, thoroughly wash the bores and make sure all the oil ways are clear before re-assembly.

Post Reply Post Reply