The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacement sliding door handle or me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement sliding door handle or me
    Posted: 12 Oct 17 at 22:31
Hi

tonight i replaced the sliding door handle on my van, did the barrel swap etc all good, but the new (made by JP group classic line) doesn't like to lock to door too easily. To get it to lock you have to apply a bit of pressure to the end of handle, in toward the van, and flick the key quite fast to get it to engage the lock.

I didn't have this issue with the previous original (broken) handle, something I've missed or is the reproduction part just not quite spot on?

Any ideas?

Matt
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 07:20
not quite spot on buddy

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 08:15
Try giving the handle a knock inward, it’s probably not far enough to contact the locking part in the door mechanism
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 19:43
Well on closer inspection the new handle's casting is a few mm thinner (outside diameter) at the point where the handle goes through the rubber grommet on the outside skin of the door than the original.

The result is that when turning the key to lock the door, as normal the sliding locking pin pushes out against the lock mechanism, but this in turn pushes the handle away towards the cab(because it's not up tight against the rubber grommet) and so stops the locking mechanism engaging properly.

Wrapped a good amount of electrical tape on the casting to bulk it out, seems to have done the trick for now.

M

Edited by mattm123 - 13 Oct 17 at 19:44
 Post Reply Post Reply