The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 174 Caravelle engine noise.. 152k

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 174 Caravelle engine noise.. 152k
    Posted: 09 Oct 17 at 09:37

Hi guys

Long time since I last posted here which is a good thing I guess ...   However, this arse of a T5 has just developed a really nasty engine noise which I'm hoping someone might help with. I'll try to get some video later which will doubtless help..

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago the engine developed a really loud knocking, engine speed related. After a day it went away, and my immediate thought was that it was one of the Gates Couplings for either the AC compressor or the alternator. I ordered a couple as the las t time the AC coupling was replaces was at 50k and as they're a service item felt it was due to change them both.

Anyhow, I got to the garage today with the two new couplings in hand hoping that in an hour or so we'd have a nice quite van again. 

Not so. 

The mechanic thought that it was engine related and demonstrated by removing the air hose from the MAF and the knocking/booming noise was as loud as fuk.  His initial idea is that it might be a burnt valve or maybe a head gasket gone..

Any other thoughts would be welcome as I've already spent a small fortune on this piece of 'legendarily reliable' German engineering, and I'd rather not go through the process of anally pleasuring Breeze Volkswagen once again ...

I'm in Wimborne so would like to hear from anyone who can recommend a decent independent garage who knows the T5 motor...

Cheers

Greg

Be gentle - I'm a lurker coming out ...
Greggers View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 17 at 09:45

This isn't my video but is exactly the same noise, especially when the MAF pipe is removed...

Any help appreciated!

Greg
Be gentle - I'm a lurker coming out ...
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 03:57
i'm no expert on these things, but i would've pointed to worn camshaft anyway.

Happens on 04-06ish? models mostly AFAIK.What's yours?
My 04 is ok, 150K km

VW's Pump Deuse means high cam pressures, and if wrong oil is used, or changes not done, means bad things can happen.

Also, with worn cam, there will be a definite pulsing of the intake pipework at idle.

Think there's a few posts on here about it.Search

Edited by Rebuild - 10 Oct 17 at 03:59
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 09:05
sounds like a sticky inlet valve
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 18:17
Popping back though the inlet like that means it will be the cam worn out and also the followers/tappets will be worn into holes. Ouch  Make sure whoever you use has done these cams before because the 2.5 engines are not conventional.  The backlash of the gears needs to be set up correctly as well as the usual injector adjustment.  I haven't had to do one yet but I have read about a few pitfalls for the unwary.  It also needs dedicated locking tools that aren't the usual VW ones.  

If it's the original cam, 152k ain't so bad... Smile     
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 18:22
2004 2.5 174
mortT5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 17 at 06:22
Hi,
Having had a similar experience to which you describe it is without doubt a cam/follower issue.....engine performance goes 'flat', the clacking noise (as it appears to me anyway) is not too bad at first but obviously develops and the 'pulsing' in the inlet plumbing gets worse. Mileage was 115k approximatley. The upshot was a £2600 bill from Cheltenham Van Centre for remedial works. The T5 was at the time owned by my disabled son and as such was insurance company sponsored so me wallet remained intact but it was very disappointing to have this occur on this vehicle as we had 'owned' it since new in 2005 and which we, as a family had tried to look after with due diligence. But, this does not cover the way the care staff drove it or the quality of the oil used for service. This I believe was the crucial issue, the oil is very specific 504.2 or 507.0 spec I believe. This would explain a lot as the servicing was done at non-VW specific outlets. A lesson there of course but we had no say ultimately costing the money side a lot more than it really should have.

Sorry to state the above but if you are good with the spanners the bill might be more reasonable. Hope this is of some help.

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 12:20
Bollocky Bollocks......mines making this noise

Been checkin online and there's a few folk successfully managed to replace the cam themselves one even managed without the locking tool.
I cant afford to get a garage to do it so will have to save for the cam and do it myself

What pisses me off is this is obviously a vw fault but they wont fix it or even pay towards

Anyone got a list of parts that need ordered?

I see Darkside do a kit but is it everything I wonder?

Edit: Just found this on ebay

Edited by Onefut - 04 Dec 17 at 12:27
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
 Post Reply Post Reply