The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9dg wasserboxer to 1z conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joolz250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9dg wasserboxer to 1z conversion
    Posted: 17 Sep 17 at 13:43
Hi all,

I am part way through this conversion. I have the diesel bell housing and an adapter form brickwerks to use the 1z starter motor. Keeping the 1z flywheel and using a wassboxer 228mm 24 spline clutch disc.
Ow my attention has turned to the input shaft and would reallly appreciate some advice . I seem to have a few options. First is to purchase the conversion input from form brick werks that allows the use of a 24 spline 228 mm cluthch disc. Question about this - when I look inside the centre of the 1z flywheel it does not seem to have a spigot bearing? Is this normal ?

Option 2 - keep existing input shaft - doing some research I understand this needs to be shortened by approx 10mm. Is that correct? Also it seems I would need to fit a spigot bearing into the 1z flywheel?

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Joolz250 - 17 Sep 17 at 13:58
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 17 at 20:33
easiest way is to use the diesel clutch/set up from a 1.6/1.7 t3 and lob 15mm off your input shaft. spigot fits in the crank not the clutch
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 04:32
I did the exact same conversion, 2.1wb to 1Z a couple of years ago

I used the 1Z flywheel and clutch cover with a 2.1 228mm plate and a cut down petrol input shaft.

I also used the starter adaptor which allows use of tdi starters which can be picked up for buttons on eBay if it ever needs replacing

And make sure you do fit a spigot bearing, they aren't fitted to fwd engines but ours do need them, they are cheap enough from brickwerks

Joolz250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joolz250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 08:29
Thank you both!
In terms of fitting the spigot bearing - how is this done? Can I just drift it in with the flywheel still in place?

Edited by Joolz250 - 18 Sep 17 at 08:30
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 17 at 20:55
yes buddy but make sure its the right way round = theres a thin dust seal that needs to face out
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Joolz250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joolz250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 17 at 06:46
Thank you.
I've just ordere the diesel input shaft and spigot bearing from brick werks . Do you know of any guides to replacing the input shaft?
Thanks
Joolz250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joolz250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 17 at 08:42
Update - engine in !

Swapped in the diesel input shaft from brickwerks (fiddly!) and tapped int the spigot bearing. The engine mated up surprisingly easily.

A few more questions please;

Dip stick- i have a 1z dip stick but obviously the reading is way off with the jx sump. I intend to extend the dip stick but can someone please tell me the correct level of oil above the pump pick up? (Jx pump fitted)

Starter motor- I'm using the 1z flywheel and the aluminium adaptor from brickwerks. An Ebay starter motor (I think from a seat) one of the 3 specified as suitable for this application. Anyway - I discovers that the clutch actuator bracket uses one of the bell housing bolt holes that is used by the adaptor. So some modification will be needed to make this all go together. Anyone had this problem? How did you get round it?
Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply