The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lowered suspension awful ride.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lowered suspension awful ride.
    Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 10:48
My 2009 2.5 has been lowered by the previous owner.
The ride on the e front is awful and seems to bounce and crash everywhere but only on the front, the rear is perfect.
It certainly isn't the lowest springs in the world and I am on 18" wheels with 235 55 tyres so not to big.
How do I find how low or what the springs are on my van?
Is their a comfier option? Or would you change the front struts as they me be shot or not changed when the suspension was changed.
Maybe I'm to old for all this lowered look but I don't want it to look stupid with the larger wheels.

SC
Chugachug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chugachug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 12:04
hi, sorry your not too happy with the front end, l had once lower springs all round, and was not happy with them, went back to the original springs set up on my 2004 T30 130, l also had 17" steel wheels with tyres 235/60/17 on, found the speed was 4 to 5 mph lower when driving at 70mph, now l have vw 18" classic Alloys 8J  255/55/18 109H XL General Grabber all round with 20mm spacers on, on checking the speed with the sat nav, it was almost spot on, the difference was 1 mph, those alloy and tyres look great under the wheel arches, l found the ride is comfortable, also it look good on the van.Tongue

Edited by Chugachug - 28 Aug 17 at 12:08
Chugachug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chugachug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 12:06
sorry my key board playing up.

Edited by Chugachug - 28 Aug 17 at 12:13
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 13:44
I didn't want to go back to standard springs as I feel the van sits great as it is. Also it would mean I would have to swap the rear. Is their such a thing as lowered front shock/struts? I am thinking the lowered springs do not have matching shock absorbers.

SC
Chugachug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chugachug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 17 at 15:56
Have you look on the T4 forum, they have loads of information, you can read through for T4 and T5. regarding the shock struts / coilover springs with struts and lots of other things as well, you can Regsiger as member, so you can read through all the T4 /T5 forum, if you want to write or contact any of the members, you may have to pay £10 thats it. hope you find out and sort your problem out.Big smile
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 17 at 00:41
This might help if you haven't seen already, it is a translation so needs some interpretation.

There are ID paint marks on the springs, (grey, green, etc) and part numbers on the dampers to look up on Etka.
although the part numbers are difficult to find, due to dirt, position, etc.

The PR code (1BA, etc) is on the build sticker under the dash or in the Owners handbook if you didn't know.

http://www.jewuwa.de/VW.htm ;    T5 German Board - member

For the Multivan T5 there are different undercarriages: also sometimes called Landing Gear  - (Suspensions)

1BA - Suspension and damping Standard: This is the standard suspension for the priority use on paved roads.
            against a closed vehicle (Vans) here is the Multivan already 2cm deep. (lower)
            (Compared to panel vans, the std Multivan is 20mm lower)

1BJ - * suspension / damping reinforced front and rear: This chassis is designed for use with bad roads
           (eg gravel). The Multivan here gets stiffer springs and stiffer dampers. This, however, the Multivan is again
           compared to the standard suspension 2cm higher and thus on the same level as a closed vehicle (Vans).   

1BB - Suspension and damping in bad way design: This chassis should be selected in areas with hardly any   paved
    roads. The Multivan gets hardest by springs and dampers hardest. The Multivan is then higher than a
    normal Multivan and at the same level as a closed vehicle (Vans) as 1BJ 2cm.

1BV - Sport chassis: This sports suspension is exclusively reserved for the Multivan. It is important for drivers
    with sporting ambitions. The benefits can be seen by reduced body roll and increased roll stability of the
    vehicle. Compared to the production model of the Multivan is a further lowering of 2 cm so. Thus, the
    Multivan is a total of 4 cm deeper than a closed vehicle (Vans). Thus, the suitability garage is at the height
    further improved. For use come harder and shorter springs and stiffer dampers. The sta-average front is
    25mm and rear 28mm.

2MD - lowered suspension: By this suspension leads to a lowering just for aesthetic reasons. Benefits additional
    chassis, which are not offered for the Multivan. Please inquire for yourself what T5 versions are these:

1BH - Suspension and dampers for vehicles with 3.2 t GVW: This chassis provides open a standard vehicle for
    Vans (closed & and Caravelle and Shuttle with choice of 3.2 t gross vehicle weight (GVW).

2MF - Suspension and dampers (standard) and reinforced stabilizers front and rear: This chassis is not offered
    for the Multivan and is used in the other T5 for a lower side tilt the chassis and higher roll stability and
    lower sensitivity to side winds. In open bodies from certain building height, this chassis is technically
    necessary.

2MG - enhanced cushioning and stabilizers front and rear with reinforced stabilization: ---

2MK - Rear suspension reinforced: This suspension should during frequent load on the rear axle up to the max.
    axle load are used. It is used to compensate the vehicle standing height (eg for Tool Trolleys)

2ML - damping front and rear reinforced: This chassis comes only when open Vans used. and corresponds to the
    chassis 1BJ with closed bodies. Since the open bodies already the strongest springs are standard equipment,
    come here also only the dampers from 1BJ used.

2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 17 at 13:32
Thanks for that Styrne, but my current suspension does not have standard springs and to be honest I couldn't tell you what manufacturer they are.
My main question is- Would it be a good idea to replace the front shock absorbers?
I just hate it crashing and bouncing about.

SC

champy2k View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote champy2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 17 at 15:02
tyres may not help tbh, the low profile effects the ride
like Thatcher you'll either love me or hate me
1985 t3 high roof, 1962 h van, loads of other french stuff
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 17 at 17:27
Dont know much about your bus, but if its crashy, is something bottoming out? Shagged shocks bottoming out due to lowered springs? crashing onto bump stops? Shite springs? Coil bound - no give in the springs? 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
 Post Reply Post Reply