The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX to AGG Conversion - buzzer of doom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX to AGG Conversion - buzzer of doom
    Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 00:50
I have just got my beloved Westie back after an engine swap - JX TD to AGG and am now clearing up the various niggles (large and small) that the outfit I paid left behind (I won't name names yet because it could still get messy).

Apart from rewiring all the bits like fog lamps, my cruise control and battery monitor (if they didn't know what the wire was for they cut it off!!!) I have two main concerns that appear to be interconnected:

Oil Pressure - One reason I replaced the JX was performance and chronic low oil pressure which always left me worried (never got more than about 30psi even after a new oil pump). Now I have the performance (it will happily pull 65-70mph on a dual carriageway) but oil pressure is alarmingly high - typically 80-100psi at anything other than low revs. I believe my pressure sender is over-reading since when I measured on my mechanical gauge it was about 80psi rather than 100 - but this still seems very high (although I would rather be there the very low!!!). Any thoughts, comments, experiences on this one?

Rev counter - my van came back without the rev counter working which I find most distracting. Claimed the alternator didn't have a W output. I checked with a scope and there is a nice signal coming out, even though the wire wasn't connected. Rectified that and hey presto my standard diesel tach starts reading what appears to be fairly accurately. Then the bloody oil light and buzzer of doom starts going off! Now I know this is triggered by low oil pressure above 2000rpm, but the oil pressure on the gauge is still above 80psi so there must be some set of conflicting signals coming from the pressure switch, rev counter and the circuit board behind the speedo.  I'm starting to wonder whether the rev counter "wasn't working" as a means to suppress the buzzer!!!.  I don't think this should be normal, but what have other AGG converts found?  

Mechanically these guys did a reasonable job, and that was the bit I couldn't do, but electrically I am very suspect and over the winter will probably strip the loom and rebuild it with fully soldered joints and make it look pretty. It will also help me discover how the whole lot works - I like to know this kind of stuff.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on either topic (although I'm convinced it is the same overall issue and is electrical rather than mechanical). Assuming nothing goes completely amok in the next 2 weeks we are hoping to be at Busfest so I will be on the lookout for other conversions to understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance

Edited by stevepr - 25 Aug 17 at 00:51
Steve

1991 Westfalia California with AGG conversion (from JX)
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 07:24
the pressure sender for the b-o-d may be the wrong one fitted to the gti. you can wire the rev counter straight to the coil - there is a specific wire to connect it to ,likewise there is a specific pole to connect on the coil (-ve) you may be fortunate to have 3 screws next to the king lead if you have an aftermarket coil so you can clip up to one of those.. if you dont mind me asking how much did the conversion cost? and did you use a garage or a man on his drive?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Garyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 17 at 18:16
Steve,
welcome to the world of the GTi conversion.

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the 'high' oil pressure, mine has always been the same. Bear in mind that the JX oil pump fed a large proportion of it's output to the turbo which you no longer have. I don't think there is much difference between the oil pumps.

Where is your gauge sender located? Mine is in the spare hole in the oil filter bracket, alongside the factory temperature and pressure senders. The gauge often reads 6 to 7 bar (90-105 psi) but when really hot and on idle it will be down around 2-3 bar (40psi?)

I was originally concerned by this but eventually found a figure from VW that showed maximum allowable pressure could be as high as 8 bar.

Diesel tacho works well enough for normal driving. There is an adjustment screw under a sticker on the back of the tacho so, if you can get a reader hooked up to the ECU to show the actual engine rpm, you can adjust to get say 3,000rpm reading correctly. If my memory serves, it will then under-read slightly at low revs and over-read at higher revs.

On the buzzer of doom, do remember that a wiring fault will also set it off. If you're concerned about the workmanship, this is a possibility. I had a problem which turned out to be a broken wire in the old loom as a result of it being 'stiffened' by a soldered joint which concentrated the flex in one place. Check the wire continuity before you dig too deep elsewhere. Also, how good is your instrument loom 'ribbon' where it joins the multi-plug? That's another possible fault zone.

As you apparently have an oil pressure gauge, do you also have a temperature gauge? I got a bit concerned when mine showed motorway incline temps going up beyond 110*. I now have an oil cooler fitted which keeps it in the 85-100* range.

I am sure that you will soon get these issues sorted and will then really be able to enjoy a very driveable van.
Garyd
stevepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 17 at 01:20
Well it turned out simpler than I thought!  There was no white oil pressure switch fitted (I wonder if they mistook the temperature sender for the pressure switch?) so when I connected the rev counter and the revs went over 2000 rpm the buzzer of doom controller did it's stuff admirably! By not connecting the rev counter they avoided the problem.  White pressure switch now fitted and connected up and the buzzer is silent (at least until something goes terribly wrong!). Now all I have to do is swap my 5 bar VDO oil gauge for a 10 bar version (with the appropriate sender) and we should be in reasonable shape.

From Garyd's comments maybe the oil pressure isn't too bad - down to about 40psi on idle when hot. Maybe I'll refill with 5W40 synthetic so the slightly thinner oil will drop the pressure a bit anyway.

Steve

stevepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 17 at 08:24
Gary,

Thanks for the reassurance.  Things are settling down now - done a few hundred miles. Rev counter working fine (although it seems unnatural after years with the JX to rev up to 4000!) and buzzer of doom sorted (they hadn't connected the oil pressure switch!).  I have a slight glitch in that when things warm up (after 100+ miles) I am starting to feel a slight hesitation in the throttle response (feels a bit like fuel starvation).  Thought fuel pump might be overheating but it is cold. I am wondering if the ECU is getting a bit warm.  They mounted it (well a zip tie actually!!!) in the left side well and it is thus close to the exhausts.  I am thinking of redoing the wiring loom (it could do with a tidy up) and moving it (no room on the right well by the battery - the air intake is there, but it could go in front of the firewall under the bench seat).  I have found your big post on the AGG conversion which mentions appendices with ECU pinouts and more wiring details but cannot find these.  Any chance you could PM them to me!

Thanks in advance for the help, and you are right the conversion (despite these initial teething problems) is giving the van a new lease of life.  Even felt able to splash out on a set of alloys at Busfest last weekend!

Regards

Steve
Steve

chickenkoop View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 18 at 18:31
Hi Steve, I've got a cali running 1.6jx, thinking forward to a upgrade,now your running a AGG engine.
what mpg are you getting? and that's a 2.0gti engine?
any info and photo's wound be great.
thanks
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 01:31
Like most on here chap this is over a year old. Rowelsey and myself have both got aggs in our westys and not far from you. If you fancy having a mooch at the install and a drive you’re welcome to pop over.
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 10:19
Hi Fatboy, thanks for the offer, and if I'm over near you I'll pm you.
so your vans spec, am I right with thinking there,
2.0L agg 8v engine, jx gearbox,?
a breakdown of your spec would be brill.
thanks for getting back to me so quick,
Thumbs Up
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 18:00
Yes, 2.0 ltr AGG, 5 speed box (2.1 petrol) but not that much different from that fitted on the back of a JX. I have tall tyres on mine too, 205/75/15.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 19:01
thanks, What mpg are you getting?
98, karmann Colorado,
89, T3 westy california
Brickin it in Cov.
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 21:14
God knows! Still driving it like I stole it. On the way back from Bristol volksfest at a steady speed it was pretty good. On a par with the sb I took out? Certainly nothing like a wbx

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 18 at 21:14
and im on a dk box (4speed) currently getting 100 miles to £20 fuel (£1.26pl) but like scott i still drive mine like a twat! fully loaded westy pop top.... need owt give us a shout!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply