The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cabinet rubber mouldings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cabinet rubber mouldings
    Posted: 24 Aug 17 at 20:30
Before i attempt anything 'crazy' with a heat gun anybody have alternatives to closing the gaps that are now present on the rubbers around the cabinet doors? Every van i have seen seems to be affected and seeing as i have just painted the fridge door hinges thought a bit of heat delicately applied to the moulding may entice the rubber to stretch . Only need to close around 8mm between two tails of the rubber.
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 17 at 20:49
I think that is just the tollerance in the production process.
Regards,
Kris
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 10:31
There's a thread on the samba where somebody used heat to stretch the profiles longer like this and it worked well. It's on our list of jobs for the future

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622470

Edited by clift_d - 25 Aug 17 at 10:35
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 11:07
Thanks for the link-now what could possibly go wrong? Smile
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 16:46
well that was a productive afternoon-all moulding gaps are now less than 1mm and look so much better!
Suprised how little heat manipulation it required to stretch-tails now secured across split with staple gun instead of the puny original staples. Took  the opportunity to remove the gaps on all rubber trimmed furniture (shelf/pop top bed hinge etc) whilst i was at it.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply