The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration felt through steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration felt through steering wheel
    Posted: 16 Aug 17 at 22:25
Anyone else has annoying engine vibration felt through the steering wheel?
Thought it was DMF but all changed and still there.. Can feel it around 1400rpm and then again worse at 2000rpm. This happens even in neutral revving the engine. Does anyone know what to look for next, is it an engine problem or just the mounting of the steering rack on the subframe picking up resonance etc..
Getting real fed up with my T5 :-(
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 17 at 01:18
Have you tested your DMF by reversing up a slope while slightly slipping the clutch ?  If it judders like crazy you need a new DMF.

A few more details might help (age, engine model, mileage, any other symptoms such as rough running, fuel in oil, poor fuel economy, loss of power/surging)

Edited by gregozedobe - 17 Aug 17 at 01:20
mrfresh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 17 at 10:10

Sorry my message was brief, here is the further info.. Van is a 1.9TDI, 84hp 2009 model Mileage was at 65000 when a slight vibration appeared at 2000rpm but not too annoying. This go worse over the next 7000miles (I commute 1000m/month in it) until my fingers were going numb again at 2000rpm. Not knowing too much but reading forums I suspected the DMF and paid to get it done (after checking PS pump & alt clutch). Van seemed to drive ok after new DMF  for around 300miles then the vibration started to come back but this time with vibration also at 1400rpm, at these revs the engine feels like its misfiring slightly. Above 2000rpm engine runs perfectly and fuel economy still good. Now when I drive the engine goes through two areas of vibration whilst accelerating and its getting on my nerves.. Two things to add it starts much better with the new DMF as the engine was quite rattly before and I don’t have any vibration from the flywheel/clutch when reversing uphill.. Intercooler hoses have been checked too + no codes when read with VCDS. Any help much appreciated..

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 17 at 11:25
Hmmm, I don't have much experience with the 4 cyl TDI engine (most on here seem to have the 2.5l 5 cyl lump).  Have you tried looking for reports of similar problems on Golf, Passat and Skoda forums ?  The 1.9 TDI is a fairly common engine in all sorts of VAG vehicles.

It might be worth checking your engine & gearbox mounts, also looking all around the engine bay while revving the engine at 1400 & 2000 rpm (but be careful not to get caught up in any moving bits) to see if anything is moving/vibrating excessively.  

You could temporarily remove the fanbelt to isolate the ancillaries like alternator, p/s & a/c pumps and eliminate them from suspicion.

I'm a bit confused how a new DMF could improve starting - reduce vibration etc yes, but not actually help it start.

Is the vibration the same when you push the clutch in (both in a gear and in neutral) ?  If it goes away when the clutch is pushed in then I'd suspect the input side of the gearbox.  I rejected a repaired gearbox for my T5 because it had a terrible shudder when stationary (amongst other problems).

Edited by gregozedobe - 17 Aug 17 at 11:32
mrfresh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 17 at 12:49
The engine always started well but with a new DMF its much nicer and doesn't shudder so much (could be in my head though..) Thank you for the advice, I have been trying to locate the source for a while now and I did remove the belt to check for PS & alt causes. The vibration is present with clutch in/out so its pointing to the engine (or DMF again??). Good point about trying a different forum as I have only ever looked up T5 1.9tdi problems. I am in the middle of converting it to a camper and have gone so far but this issue has halted everything until I can rectify the problem.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 17 at 22:34
It could be the way the engine is running.  A misfire or partial misfire caused by injectors, injector wiring, camshaft, low compression etc could do it.  It's worth changing the fuel filter first if it's not been done for a while, you can fill the new one with injector cleaner while you are there.  Also check the air filter isn't blocked or wet.

If you can get access to VCDS diagnostics you can check how much fuel the injectors are adding at idle as they try and balance normal variations/vibrations caused by one cylinder under/over performing.  This will show up as a plus or minus figure for each cylinder, you can easily find out more about it online.  It isn't a guaranteed test of the injectors or anything else at all rev ranges/loads but it will sometimes point out a particular under performing cylinder. Smile       

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply