The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Oil Feed leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo Oil Feed leak?
    Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 09:02
Hi

I had a leak (small-ish) coming from the turbo oil feed at the connection on the oil cooler/filter. Engine oil was changed last week pulled up onto the drive last night and noticed oil pouring out!

I only had chance for a quick look last night but  i could see that oil was pooling ontop of the engine beneth the oil cooler/filter so i guess is coming from either the sensor or the turbo feed.

coulple of questions, am i right in thinking the new oil, being thinner than the old, is likely to have found its way out the old leak but in larger quantaties?

Can i just try and nip up the unions on the turbo feed? is this lilely to work?
if the leak is coming from the sensor seal how do i re-seal that?

Thanks

Matt
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 14:23
I would try and clean it up to see where exactly it's leaking from. 

The oil pressure gauge has a metal washer.  You can try nipping it up or get a new one with a washer, it's very cheap:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/oil-pressure-switch-blue.html

Last time I tried nipping up the turbo feed pipe it broke completely.  You can give it a go but be prepared that it may break.   Replacement is available and relatively cheap too:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/turbo-oil-feed-pipe-t3-1-6td.html

there is also a union which is sealed with a washer:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/turbo-oil-feed-pipe-union-t3-1-6td.html

Hope that helps.

'90 T3 Bluestar
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 14:51
that helps a lot, do you know if the union on brickwerks comes with the washer?

looking at my pics i can't see a washer betwen the union and the filter which might explain the leak?
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 21:19
Well it turns out it's not the turbo feed leak that's got worse but the high pressure diesel line for cylinder 4 that is pissing out from the nut connecting it to the pump!

I tried tightening it with a 17mm spanner but it didn't budge. Is changing the line as simple as it looks? Unscrew from both ends replace and tighten.
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 11:27
Yeah, pretty much.  You can buy them individually or as a set.

Make sure to clamp the pipes together otherwise they may fail quickly (due to vibrations).  Hopefully you have a clamp on there already if not you can get one here:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/injector-pipe-clamp-vw-diesel-4-pipe.html

Good luck

'90 T3 Bluestar
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 11:40
There was a clamp on three of the lines at the top and a clear mark, close to the pump, where the clamp which gives over all 4 lines is missing! Guess which one failed.....

Who ever did this engine recon ( before by ownership) did a shocking job!!! Also found there are some missing sump bolts last night
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 15:34
Essential those fuel pipe clamps. They just fracture with metal fatigue without them.
mattm123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 17 at 14:50
New injector pipe and anti vibration clamp fitted, leak solved!

Thanks all

M
 Post Reply Post Reply