The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW just installed my cruise control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW just installed my cruise control
    Posted: 25 Jul 17 at 15:25
£225 all in and a two year guarantee, they had the van 4 hours so after buying the parts and coding would have been around £190 so it cost me £35 more for them to do it. A no-brainer. 
They also hoovered out the van and washed the outside. Thumbs Up
I felt out of control at first but when I'm used to it I'll love it.
Rob
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 03:03
Rob, welcome to the BY, I'm sure you'll find some useful info here.

As long as you use your CC intelligently you will find it very useful.  Play around with it a bit and you will soon figure out how to use it best (and when all else fails, just stomp on the brake pedal, it will disconnect the CC and slow you down immediately).

I use my cruise control for around 80 - 90% of my van driving as almost all of my driving is on motorways in light traffic ( I try to time my travel time for outside peak hours).

It saves my ankle, leg and back as I can move around a bit, not locked in one position holding the accelerator pedal.  It also saves speeding fines and points and I can relax more as I'm not constantly worried about going over the limit.

I find CC is not so useful in hilly country, lots of corners or heavy traffic.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Jul 17 at 03:07
Rob B View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 06:51
Thanks Greg,
Had a bit of a play on the by-pass yesterday, I think it'll be good when I go up to London on the motorways and mainly on the average speed detection parts. I think you may have more space than here and less traffic.
I can't believe the VW dealer was cheaper than independents and at the price why would you do it yourself? The only thing is my windows now won't go down with a touch and the button has to be held continuously but I've had this before after the battery has been disconnected and it righted itself after a while.
Probably have another play today.Smile
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 12:59
Originally posted by Rob B Rob B wrote:

Thanks Greg,
Had a bit of a play on the by-pass yesterday, I think it'll be good when I go up to London on the motorways and mainly on the average speed detection parts. I think you may have more space than here and less traffic.
I can't believe the VW dealer was cheaper than independents and at the price why would you do it yourself? The only thing is my windows now won't go down with a touch and the button has to be held continuously but I've had this before after the battery has been disconnected and it righted itself after a while.
Probably have another play today.Smile

To fix the one-touch windows after a battery disconnection just press the up button and hold it for 10 seconds after the window gets to the top, then repeat the process for down.  This allows the controller to re-calibrate (ie know when the window is at the top, and the bottom)
Rob B View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 17 at 16:14
Thanks, that workedClap
sherpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 17 at 21:39
You must have had the correct BCM. My T5.1 has the module ending in 086 & for cruise control to work it needs the BCM ending in 087. The module is £370 & the cruise kit is £240 making it £610 fitted.
Rob B View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 17 at 07:59
The T5.1 is much dearer as I found out from a mate who wanted it done at my bargain price and the VW dealer quoted him £425. I don't know if it's to do with the MFD or just another way of ripping us off. I must say after extensive use I think it uses more fuel as it's always pulling whereas my foot feathers the pedal even on motorways. I'm going to drive to Portugal next month so will have many miles of trials.
Would I retrofit one again...no!
Rob
Rob B View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 17 at 08:05
Missed the bit about £610 which is nearly £200 more than the main dealer in Dorchester so someone is taking the proverbial.
sherpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 17:02
I decided that £610 was silly money & that I would stick with the manual cruise control ie a right foot & a brain.
As an aside, I used to have an Audi A4 130 six speed manual with cruise control & I could always get a better result on a regular journey to South Wales with the cruise off than with it on. Usually in the region of 3mpg.
 Post Reply Post Reply