The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 -90 2.4i brake lights and fuel...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pernas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 -90 2.4i brake lights and fuel...
    Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 16:11
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, background is that I quite recently inherited a VW LT35 2.4i -90 "camper" from my dad who passed away earlier this year:

(The LT35 has been resting for around 6 months before I started to work with it)

Unfortunately not everything is perfect and I do have some small issues with that car, namely these;

* Engine worked O.K. to start with but now it only starts up for a second or two and then dies. After a while of waiting (10 minutes) it's possible to repeat that and the engine dies after a couple of seconds again and so on. The fuel pump sounds like it's working O.K. but the flow is not what I expect would be sufficient for an LH-injection car, when detached the incoming hose to the injector bridge it's not a constant flow of gas, only small bursts of gas...I recall my dad renovated the fueltank but not sure about the fuel pump or filter - should I replace both?

* Brake lights - they stay on for a really long time (hours) after pressing the brake pedal, haven't figured out why though, is it a simple switch near the pedal or a pressure actuated sensor on this model?
It drains the battery so really need to fix this.

I've tried to browse through the tech manuals but not very easy to see any pictures which describes where everything is located....

Kind regards,
 Per
LT35 -90 2.4 petrol 94hp 1E
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 12:20
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showSearchArticle.do
An excellent resource, 7Euros will get you legible manuals, usually German though.

Another excellent resource.

Part numbers and diagrams.

The fuel issue, I cannot help with really, but it sounds like a restriction. Check if it runs without the filler cap on, since if there is not access for air, there will be a partial vacuum in the tank.

There are two pressure activated brake switches on the top of the master cylinder, above the pedal. 

Handshake
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 16:16
hi pernas. remember this vehicle has been stood up for 6 months,so things can go wrong.first off change both fuel filters,they could be full of condensation,fill the new ones with clean diesel,before fitting,it makes bleeding easier.As for the brakes check that the fluid filler cap is venting ok.also pull the wires off the stop lamp sender unit(s),one at a time, some LTs have one others have 2 and check if lights are on or off,sometimes if you give the offending sender unit a sharp tap it can put  the light out.sometimes.good luck.
old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 21:27
Hello and welcome from another Scandinavian LT owner (currently in Zeeland in The Netherlands, with the LT) If i understand it correctly you have a petrol engine, and the version with injection and catalytic exhaust cleaner? I think you should write in the bottom line: 2,4 petrol 94hp instead of just 2,4i as most of us have diesel and the diesel also has an injection system. And actually you have a LT35Z and not a LT 35E Z=Zwilling berifung-Twin wheels and E=Einselbereifung, singel wheels
If you need LT parts Brickwerks is the best. And for more spesial parts, VW-Classic-Parts

And by the way, we do have some LT activity on the Norwegian VW bus forum http://vwbus.no/forum/viewforum.php?f=23
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Pernas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pernas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 09:01
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showSearchArticle.do
An excellent resource, 7Euros will get you legible manuals, usually German though.

Another excellent resource.

Part numbers and diagrams.

The fuel issue, I cannot help with really, but it sounds like a restriction. Check if it runs without the filler cap on, since if there is not access for air, there will be a partial vacuum in the tank.

There are two pressure activated brake switches on the top of the master cylinder, above the pedal. 

Handshake
Hello and thanks for your helpful links, found some really good diagrams on http://www.oemepc.com - possibly going to solve the fuel issue this or next weekend :)

/Per
Pernas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pernas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 09:04
Originally posted by Buss Marius Buss Marius wrote:

Hello and welcome from another Scandinavian LT owner (currently in Zeeland in The Netherlands, with the LT) If i understand it correctly you have a petrol engine, and the version with injection and catalytic exhaust cleaner? I think you should write in the bottom line: 2,4 petrol 94hp instead of just 2,4i as most of us have diesel and the diesel also has an injection system. And actually you have a LT35Z and not a LT 35E Z=Zwilling berifung-Twin wheels and E=Einselbereifung, singel wheels
If you need LT parts Brickwerks is the best. And for more spesial parts, VW-Classic-Parts

And by the way, we do have some LT activity on the Norwegian VW bus forum http://vwbus.no/forum/viewforum.php?f=23
Hello and thanks,

You're correct, it's the version with injection and catalytic exhaust cleaner - changed my signatur to clarify that ;)

Also going to have a look at the Norwegian VW bus forum :)

/Per
moonlander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moonlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 12:18
Hi,

You should have 2 fuel pumps in the system one going from the main tank to a smaller catch tank mounted under the floor (next to the fuel filter). Check that both are running and drawing a couple of amps (or at least making noise). The fuel pump in the main tank is the same as on the carburettor models outputting very low pressure. The one in the catch tank is outputting a bit over 3 bars and is the same as used on some VW Golf models, this one is readily available at biltema and online etc. (filter also available)

I'm working on putting together a comprehensive 1E engine troubleshooting guide, since I'm currently troubleshooting one for my own camper and I've gone really into the deep end.

Other things to check might be throttle body potentiometer since at startup it runs with fixed "rich" injection and then switches over to using actual sensor values. Another thing might be the MAP sensor (located inside the ECU under the dashboard). The sensor is probably not bad but the vacuum hose might be. (From memory sensor is 5V analogue output, should be around 5V at 100kPa, and 0V at 20kPa with a linear response between them)

Good to know is that the ECU can be removed without taking EVERYTHING down (like I did) - you have to unscrew the 2 top screws on the metal bracket, one on the right side, - then the lower/left mount just snaps out by pulling everything to the right.

Both of these errors can probably be read out using the "blinking light codes" if you connect a LED (and a resistor) to the test connector. Or if you have a digifant 1.1 system using appropriate serial interface.

Another thing you could check is the injectors - should be around 2-3 ohms on the common connector or 15-20ohm for each one.

For generic digifant and gasoline injection troubleshooting you can find some info on the T4 and corrado forums that also applies to the LT system.

Edited by moonlander - 19 Jul 17 at 12:18
'84 LT31 "Campmobil Milano" 2.4 DL
'96 LT31 "Double cab crane" 2.4 1E
Pernas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pernas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 07:35
Originally posted by moonlander moonlander wrote:

Hi,

You should have 2 fuel pumps in the system one going from the main tank to a smaller catch tank mounted under the floor (next to the fuel filter). Check that both are running and drawing a couple of amps (or at least making noise). The fuel pump in the main tank is the same as on the carburettor models outputting very low pressure. The one in the catch tank is outputting a bit over 3 bars and is the same as used on some VW Golf models, this one is readily available at biltema and online etc. (filter also available)

I'm working on putting together a comprehensive 1E engine troubleshooting guide, since I'm currently troubleshooting one for my own camper and I've gone really into the deep end.

Other things to check might be throttle body potentiometer since at startup it runs with fixed "rich" injection and then switches over to using actual sensor values. Another thing might be the MAP sensor (located inside the ECU under the dashboard). The sensor is probably not bad but the vacuum hose might be. (From memory sensor is 5V analogue output, should be around 5V at 100kPa, and 0V at 20kPa with a linear response between them)

Good to know is that the ECU can be removed without taking EVERYTHING down (like I did) - you have to unscrew the 2 top screws on the metal bracket, one on the right side, - then the lower/left mount just snaps out by pulling everything to the right.

Both of these errors can probably be read out using the "blinking light codes" if you connect a LED (and a resistor) to the test connector. Or if you have a digifant 1.1 system using appropriate serial interface.

Another thing you could check is the injectors - should be around 2-3 ohms on the common connector or 15-20ohm for each one.

For generic digifant and gasoline injection troubleshooting you can find some info on the T4 and corrado forums that also applies to the LT system.
Hi and thanks!

Most of the things you write makes sense except for the configuration with 2 pumps(!)
Shouldn't I expect the camper to look like this;

/Per
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 12:34
I have a Digifant workshop manual which i have not scanned yet. I cannot even tell you what it covers, but I will do it over the weekend, if you think it may help.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
moonlander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 23:02
LTcamper: Hi, I also have the digifant manuals that I've been planning to scan (though they are in german), so if you have the english ones that would be great...

Pernas: The pictures are a bit misleading, the one you're looking at is only showing the high pressure pump and the catch tank. The main fuel tank is not drawn in detail and is the same as on the carburettor engine with in-tank fuel pump as well. This was confusing me at first as well..

I remember there being another drawing showing this but that it was placed in the wrong/weird category on the web schematics sites, can't find it now though. If you check the electrical schematics for the 1E this is clear though.
'84 LT31 "Campmobil Milano" 2.4 DL
'96 LT31 "Double cab crane" 2.4 1E
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 11:20
I think it is a little bit funny, 2 Swedish guys discussing in English the problem with their cars. Not so funny is, that because they only write "Sweden" in Location, they don't know if they live 500m or 2000km from each other.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply