The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust extension..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust extension..
    Posted: 09 Jul 17 at 23:37
Hi...

First time poster. Long term lurker.

Ive got a T5.1 white panel van, self build project on the go. Its a slow burner... as in, its taking me ages to get stuff done. However..

After a recent camping trip to a festival with the wife. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice to divert the exhaust fumes from the exhaust up above the roofline of the van. So as not to gas myself and those camping around us. Oh.. and the wife of course.. .. Wink

Has anyone else fitted such a thing, or considered doing the same? I found something in America, a "Camco 44461 Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Venting System" which they fit to their gigantic RVs, which seems about what I had in my head if maybe slightly over engineered. I was leaning more towards a length of hose and some jubilee clips.

Cheers
Jame
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 13:48
So you leave your engine running while your camping ⛺️ or am I missing something here
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
jamieprang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 16:53
In a manner of speaking. We were away at a music festival and sat in the same spot for 6 nights. So I started the van in the mornings to put a bit of juice back into the battery.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 22:26
Sounds like you need a leisure battery
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 00:10

That's some solid advice. Thanks I hadn't thought of that....

Maybe I was mistake when I thought I might get some constructive advice on an online informational forum for like minded humans with similar interests. Or even to spark a conversation on how to engineer a solution to a problem. How silly of me. Maybe even a helpful answer to what might have been a new and unexplored problem, rather than the same posts over and over again.  

I didn't realise that what this was, is a platform to tear into new guys with sarcasm, cynicism and blindingly obvious statements. Could you possibly point me in the direction of the "introductions" section. I believe now that I have a couple of posts under my belt, and now know how this forum works that I'm about ready to tear some poor "newbie" a new one.

Thanks brick-yard. I think I shall take my enquiries elsewhere from now on. Muchas Grassyass!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 14:12
Originally posted by jamieprang jamieprang wrote:

Thanks brick-yard. I think I shall take my enquiries elsewhere from now on. Muchas Grassyass!

Oh well, 'bye !  I suspect you will be missed about as much as all the helpful contributions you have made to this site ...
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 14:19
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 16:58
So you're telling me that in order to receive non mocking, relevant advice I have to have made hundreds of posts of relevant information myself?

Aye ok then, that makes sense. Newbies have to already have a wealth of knowledge which must be offered up front before any sort of advice is offered in return..  I suspect this forum has come a long way from whence it started. Ok, dont eat yellow snow, never piss into the wind, and if your wife asks you if she looks fat the word NO must be out within 0.5 seconds of the question ending. There... can I PLEASE have some of your super duper brain knowledge now.

Opening credits roll... A star wars type monologue rolls across the screen...

"In the beginning there were a few like minded individuals, who thought how good it would be to have an online community to share and help each other. Over time this community swelled and grew over time. Outsiders came. They're trying to steal our knowledge said the community to each other. We have to kill them! They cannot be allowed in. They'll take all of our information that we've worked so hard to build up for themselves. KILL THEM ALL"

Grow up!

Honestly "the brick-yard" has a bad name on another forum I use. And I thought they were just being over dramatic and I didn't comment on it as I didn't know enough about it to just bash on your guys for no reason. But due to the current location of my work and the nature of my internet connection firewall, I cant access that forum and I can access this one. So thought what the hell, I'll give it a go. I must say that as a new member I haven't exactly been made to feel welcome.

What is it with forums these days, you have to be one of the "originals" or at least know one of them before you're accepted and graced with advice. I'm a time served mechanical engineer and can figure out my problem myself. But I pride myself and my career on the fact that everyone can learn from anyone. So clearly I wrongly thought that I might get some fellow engineer type advice to my little project. Even if it was the same as my thinking, it might have been an interesting conversation. But no, the world is in a sh!te state and people are more interested in trolling each other for personal amusement than helping a fellow human. You guys are the ones who drive past the guy who's just broken down and laugh at him standing in the rain. Help your fellow man. It feels good. Karma is good. What goes around comes around.

It says it all when an innocent post asking for advice has received more sarcasm and abuse about me rather than advice to the original question.
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 18:07
LOL Welcome to the yard! I saw a cool looking ratty t5 with the exhaust coming out the n/s wing and up the a pillar. i liked it, many wouldnt Thumbs Up

I wouldnt use jubilee clips and a length of tube either I think that would look wank. could look cool if you put abit more effort into it. 

Edited by Bromy - 16 Jul 17 at 18:12
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 18:28
Wow... there's life in there.. thanks man.

I just figured that even leisure batteries need charging after a while. And I don't have the use of a hook-up when at festivals or when away surfing. So running the engine is the only option. The combination of exhaust fumes and bacon rolls is not the best.

Some sort of flexible coupling which I could connect on to the exhaust end when I park up. And run it up the side of the van, through a lightweight but temperature resistant piece of pipe... hooked on to the rails and the top and secured to stop flapping around in the wind. Bit of heat shielding for artistic flair and some safety. HSE is everywhere..

Old fashioned tractor flap at the top to stop the rain getting in.. 

If it was all lightweight enough to hook on and off easily. Stow away in the van until needed.. I think it could be the saviour of the bacon rolls. And would stop the wife complaining. (about that at least) 
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 20:28
Oh i thought you meant as a permanent fixture LOL  I like this 

"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 21:37
What about a decent solar panel? Would keep you running nice.
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 00:38
Dammit Janet keep your knickers on . I wasn't intending to be unhelpful or sarcastic , but ffs if your running your engine to charge the battery daily then a leisure battery is surely what you need or a generator . To rant like that because you thought I was pointing out the obvious and treating you like a dipstick tells me you probably need something to remove a fucking great chip from your shoulder . Good luck with your snorkel
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 01:39
at JP,
Wow, short fuse.
I didn't see any sarcasm,cynicism, or blindingly obvious statements.
You never even said you had considered/discounted leisure battery/generator.
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 18:13
Its rough... but I like it..
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 18:25
I actually did buy a solar panel for the weekend. But it was a cheap one as an experiment and I didn't want to put 100% faith in it. checked it with a multimeter a few times over the festival and it was pulling a bit of power, for 30 pounds out of Aldi I was expecting a less positive result. UK (Scottish) weather however... I wouldn't want to put all of my faith in solar power. I am planning a more permanent solar panel though, I saw a really cool installation which I read on another thread somewhere on the internet. Cant remember where. But that has to wait until after the pop top is fitted or I'll have to do it twice.

Leisure battery is the next thing to be fitted to the van. But even with one of them, it wont last 6 days without some sort of charge. With it being music festivals we attend, we're running speakers, amps and what not. Plus 12v fridge. Charge phones etc for a large portion of the time.

Generator I considered. But many music festival sites don't allow them.

this leaves me with my own engine for charging. The places we go don't have hook-ups generally. As I can only complete part of the van when funds allow then I thought a nice quick solution to the problem in hand was a "snorkel". Gas fumes up the way and bacon rolls and beer in the way
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 19:29
My friend is running a decent panel. It runs the fridge speakers lighting etc and always keeps the leisure battery topped up. I can find out what unit he is running if you want
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieprang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 19:37
Yes actually. I would be very interested to see what sort of hardware he's using. I am definitely planning on putting a solar install in at some point, so if its a tried and tested and approved one then all the better.
Thanks man.
 Post Reply Post Reply