The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 JX Power Steering Belt Fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkmcculloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 JX Power Steering Belt Fitting
    Posted: 21 Jun 17 at 20:47
I'm having difficulty fitting a new power steering belt. I've moved the pump as far as the adjuster allows but the belt is too tight to get on.

The old belt snapped, but seems to be the same length as the new one, which is the correct size I believe - 10 x 763. The "new" one was left in the van by the previous owners, so is at least 8 years old - but I don't suppose it's something that could shrink.

Any hints on how to get it on to the pulleys? I presume it needs to go on the pump first, as it has a deeper grove. Is it safe to lever against the crank pulley?

Thanks,

Paul
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 17 at 09:55
Might be worth posting a picture of your setup.
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
pkmcculloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkmcculloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 17 at 20:17
I can't seem to get a photo that shows anything useful - there's not a lot of room in there.

It's a two belt setup. One belt for the alternator & water pump, and the problematic one that drives just the PAS pump.
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 03:20
I had a water pump belt go on me in spain and had to cut the steering v-belt off to fit the spare i had-refitted steering belt later!! However ETKA shows this:-

Seems you need a 1075mm belt!

Edited by randolph57 - 23 Jun 17 at 03:30
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 07:16
Mine was tight. I took the PAS pump off to get belt on the pulleys and then levered it on to stretch the belt and refit. That worked.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 17 at 09:48
I believe the 10x1075 size is for WBX engines.

10x763 should be the correct size for a JX engine.
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 03:00
apologies for earlier error- Vagcat for jx shows a 910mm belt! easiest way to be sure use vin number at local vw franchise to be sure,even brickwerks sell different lengths for the jx -however:-

Edited by randolph57 - 25 Jun 17 at 03:27
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 00:24
On our JX the 9.5x910 belt does the crankshaft / water pump / alternator.

Edited by clift_d - 26 Jun 17 at 09:48
akw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 00:27
Mine is 10x763 too and a pretty tight fit.
'90 T3 Bluestar
pkmcculloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkmcculloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 20:52
Thanks for the replies. I reckon I'll have to resort to taking the PAS pump off. I might as well replace the other belt as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply