The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charging Fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 22:38
Thanks for that T5 TDI.
The windscreen wipers looks like a different issue altogether.
I found the other morning if i stopped and physically moved the wiper arms outside the wipers would work on the two fast speeds but the intermitent and park function was non functioning.
Once I turned the ignition off all wiper functions returned.

Only one guy on that whole thread had a similair fault as mine which turned out to be a fault on the ignition switch.

Maybe it would be a good idea and remove the instrument panel and check the battery light bulb.
Do you know if it's a filament bulb or LED on these dashboards?

SC
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 09:10
I'm fairly sure they are soldered led's. They are supposed to be non-replaceable but I believe it's possible to do if you are good with a soldering iron.  They almost never blow under normal circumstances but everything is possible.  

I think I'd start with a full scan using VCDS in case of any fault codes.  Someone near you may have it.  But you could start with the dash if you want.  

Then I think I'd look at the regulator.  The DF wire runs from the back of the regulator so check that the plug is pushed fully home and the pins are clean.  Look out for any visible damage to the wire or any sign that it has been pulled tight during the engine removal.

Ideally you would check for continuity on the DF wire between the regulator and the dash (or at least as far as the ebox) but this involves extra long meter leads.  From the guide I sent you, you will see you have a fair bit of work to do just to get to the regulator on a 2.5!         

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Jun 17 at 09:12
2004 2.5 174
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 13:39
I have had a look and you can hardly touch the back of the alternator from the engine bay.
So their is nearly as much work replacing the regulator as their is with the whole alternator.
Maybe for the price just put a new alternator in it and then at least everything is new.

SC
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 14:21
You can replace the regulator without taking the front off but I think it would be impossible to actually remove the alternator without bumper and front panel off which is a lot of screws and faffing about.  

If you want to have a go you could go as far as taking the front engine mounting off (see my guide) which should allow you to at least see if the multiplug is fully in.  But you will need to unbolt and tilt the alternator if you want proper access to get the multiplug undone without risking breaking it.   
2004 2.5 174
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 15:23
Where is your guide T5 TDI?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 16:22
Originally posted by heyskull heyskull wrote:

Where is your guide T5 TDI?

I sent it to you a few days ago when you PM'd me your email address..  Confused  
2004 2.5 174
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 17 at 11:58
Cheers I have that much in my email I can't keep track.

Cheers
SC
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 17 at 20:29
A new issue has arisen.

As of this evening the battery light comes on when the ignition is turned on and goes of with the engine running.
When running it is giving out 14.4v.

I have spoke to my auto electrician bbut he cannot figure why it shoukd now be working.
I darent disconnect the battery as I am concerned it will stop working and cannot check the amps it is pulling when switched off.
I am going to leave connected tonight and see if by some miracle it has repaired itself!
Anyones thoughts on this?

Cheers
SC
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 17 at 01:47
I'd be suspicious of an intermittent electrical fault - either a short (possibly a cut through wire shorting out somewhere) or an electrical connector (including terminals) with a poor contact that moves and makes/breaks the connection.

I hate intermittent faults, they are so hard to track down.

Edited by gregozedobe - 11 Jul 17 at 01:48
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 17 at 10:23
It's worse now it's all working!  Unless you can physically see the fault you'll have to wait until it fails again in order to test anything.  Given that you have current drain as well as no ignition light when the fault is present you could just risk an alternator.  A lot of work though..  
2004 2.5 174
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 17 at 05:55
Well if left connected it still drains the battery!
Sadly now with the battery light operational again and the charge output normal this fault does not come up as a failing alternator.
My tame auto electrician reckons if he didn't know the original fault without the battery light functioning and I brought it in now he would not diagnose that the alternator was at fault and maybe draining somewhere else.
Is their any relays that could of stuck on or wiring that could of being snagged?
I am clutching at straws here!!!

SC
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 17 at 09:22
There are some relays in the ebox under the battery.  You could pull the relays out one at a time while a meter is connected to the battery in case one of them is staying energised when it shouldn't be.  
2004 2.5 174
heyskull View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 05:40
This gets really weird now.
Over the last 3 days I have left the battery connected and have had no problems. Overnight the battery does not drop any lower than 12.4 voltsand starts without issue in the morning.
My thoughts are either something that was shorting out has moved or a previous stuck relay has decided to start working is my only conclusion.
As far as I know the van was not used for a while before the engine was rebuilt and maybe something stuck and just neede used to free it.
Hopefully this is the case if not the AA membership will get some action.

Lastly a little update on the windscreen wiper issue.
Due to the Cumbrian weather the wipers have since failed to turn on three times now. Once they have been used and working they work as they should. But if they do fail to come on when first switched on I find physically moving the wiper arm from the outside gets them going.
I can reasonably understand this is a fault within the wiper assembly and not the box that controls it.

SC
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 09:17
Yes that does sound like the motor for the wiper fault.  As for the charging who knows?  Fingers crossed... Yin Yang  
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 03:55
I agree with T5 TDI, sounds more like an internal fault in the wiper motor, or there could be some binding in the motor or linkages and when you move it manually it can make (just) enough force to keep it moving.  

What happens if you disconnect the linkages from the motor ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 19 Jul 17 at 03:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12