The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small pipe loose in the sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small pipe loose in the sump
    Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 11:46
I am changing my oil pump on my t3 Jx engine and have found what looks like a breather pipe loose in the sump.

Does anyone know where it is supposed to be from?

Thanks in advance
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 12:10
Looks like a piston cooling spray nozzle to me.

Look from underneath up into each cylinder and you should see 3 others still fitted
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 17 at 16:25
Thanks Bobby, spot on, looks like it's snapped off.

How much of a problem is this? guessing its an engine out job? would there be enough loubrication/cooling with the oil squirting out a bit lower?

Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 17 at 10:52
WHS!
As you already have the sump off, easy job, just look up and see. Just one M6 skt head allen bolt for each.

I had a piston fail on my JX, found the cooling jet spray blocked. 
I took all mine off and cleaned them. All of them were partially blocked.
They are copper brazed so not very easy to stick the dropped-off bit back on.
New ones seem to be still available at Classic Parts (at a price) 
The other question is why did it break and fall off?

Edited by Pete Westy - 12 Jun 17 at 12:38
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 17 at 17:26
Thanks for the link Pete. No problem getting it off but couldn't find the part, I assumed it would be long extinct.

I am waiting for my account to be activated before I can view your link, how much was it out of interest? Also would vw uk be able to get it in for me?

>The other question is why did it break and fall off? There is no obvious play anywhere all I can do is check that the new one doesn't catch if I manually turn the engine?? 

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 17 at 18:39
€15.95 not as bad as those turbo bolts at £20 a time!
Pete

pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 17 at 18:43
cool thanks Pete
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 12:16
Hi Pete, 

do you have the part number?

Just out of interest is there an easy way to find part numbers?

Cheers.
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 12:17
https://7zap.com/en/

That works quite well.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 12:57
Thanks mate, found it to be 068 103 157 D, but cant see it on classic parts

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 13:01
They had them at VW-Bus.com so they may still be available at the main stealers.

Edited by Titus A Duxass - 13 Jun 17 at 13:02
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 13:04
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 13:08
Just phoned the vw van centre in Liverpool, still available would you believe Smile 

Thanks for your help Thumbs Up
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 17 at 13:48
Good stuff.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 17 at 12:18
Job done, turned the engine over by hand and it looked like it was clearing the new oil jet ok.

On my way to the lakes and the engine cut out on the motorway and temp went high. The engine now runs with revs but it's not firing on all 4, so just waiting for a tow truck to take me home ☹️

Bye bye jx?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 17:47
The skirt of one piston broke on mine because of this oil jet failure. Knocked really badly but  did run.
Didn't damage the bore.
Here's my post from back then in 2009

Originally posted by Pete Westy Pete Westy wrote:

Well, the good news is I've found the source of the knocking noise. Smile
The bad news is I dropped the sump and found it full of bits of aluminium!
This is what else I found. CryCryCryCryCry
Half the piston skirt smashed off and the other half seriously cracked. I'm amazed that the piston stayed together and that the engine ran so well!
Fortunately there is no bore damage. I guess I found it just in time
Before I replace the piston does anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding the possible cause of this?

I fitted a new piston and cleaned out all the jets and it ran fine.
That was eight years and way more than 50,00 k ago so you may be lucky

Edited by Pete Westy - 18 Jun 17 at 17:48
Pete

pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 20:43
Thanks Pete, I haven't had time to get the engine out, but judging by the bits of piston in the sump I think I have done similar

I am glad you said it's related to lack of of oil cooling from the jet, I was sure I had somehow dropped something into the sump 😃

I hope I have been as lucky as you 🤞
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 17 at 23:38
I had more bits than that! And didn't take the engine out.
With mine, I took the head off and did it from the top but you you might be able to drop the piston out underneath and see what the bore is like. If it looks ok I think you will need to take the head off to get the new piston in without damaging the rings. As I recall you need to get the size of the piston or measure the bore. I also removed the exhaust manifold from the turbo and broke one of those special bolts. Cost a small fortune to drill out and replace. You can get the head off without undoing the turbo, just undoing the manifold but it is a bit of a faff to get back on that way. If you decide to do it, I have a 1 and a 2 notch gsket that you can have. I'd also get those jets out and put an airline through em all.
Pete

pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 17 at 10:59
Thanks Pete.

I didn't realise it could get to it without taking the engine out. I will give that a go first, it's probably worth the effort to take the head off to check for damage.

I replaced the turbo and manifold a year or so ago, so hopefully, the bolts haven't had time to fuse completely; I feel your pain with the broken bolts, nothing worse.

Just hoping that the cylinder isn't damaged now

pierce View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 17 at 22:48
I took the head off today the piston and head are both damaged, the cylinder isn't perfect either.

I quite fancy a gti engine or Subaru, but I suspect the engineering task might take a while, I need to be back on the road for a drive to Spain for the summer holidays, so wonder whether a recon jx might be the way to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply