The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vw t3 westfalia California fridge freezer problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vw t3 westfalia California fridge freezer problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob.west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vw t3 westfalia California fridge freezer problem
    Posted: 24 May 17 at 19:29
Hi,

My fridge freezer isn't working properly. I can get it working on auxiliary battery when I'm driving. I can get it running on lpg but it is a struggle. But I can't seem to get it to run on 240v mains

Can anyone give me advise how I could sort this out. Cheers rob.

randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 21:30
Do a search on here re the Fridge as it sounds like you really need to remove it to carry out some basic maintenance as well as a few useful upgrades. The burner assembly sounds like it could do with a clean out(collects rust at base of combustion area) possibly a new jet and certainly the gas filter changed (i used a roll-up filter tip as a replcement as LPG is a dirty fuel).
As vehicle is new to you check power supply to socket underneath cutlery drawer. if 230v there/fridge plugged in and  the 3 way  control switch (mains batt,gas) is working correctly i would suspect the 240v heating element. this requires fridge out so and ideal time to get it serviced/fan upgrade etc
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 21:36
for the mains :
Measure currents that go through the different resistors/heat elements.

Since it works on at least one source the gel system isn't broken.

For the gas part: take it apart and clean it. But first : what happens when you try to start it ?

Kris

Regards,
Kris
Rob.west View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob.west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 17 at 09:49
Hi I've only had campervan for a week and it only seems to work on the LPG after I drove the camper for a little bit on electric on the fridge then when I got back the fridge was cold then it worked on LPG
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 17 at 19:49
The gas part needs a full leisure battery to startup, that might explain why it works after a ride.
Kris

Regards,
Kris
Rob.west View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob.west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 17 at 19:53
Thanks for your help I know he's had a new battery put in place of leisure battery where could I get correct leisure battery for the T3
lowrider View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 17 at 12:31
Have a read on a westy fridge mods on a different thread , I've fitted new elements & it's the best it's been since owned it. You want look back 😉
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 17 at 05:59
Gas does not need a full leisure battery to work. It needs one tiny spark.
You need to pull the fridge and sort it. It's really not a difficult job
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply