The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D+ signal - which wire do I need?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D+ signal - which wire do I need?
    Posted: 22 May 17 at 22:18
Hi all

I'm fitting an Amperor Power Integrator to charge/manage a leisure battery - instructions say to connect to a D+ signal (which indicates engine running) as well as to the vehicle battery.

Anyone know which wire I need and how to get to it?

'06 T5

TIA!
Cheers
M
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 02:40
Some people use a "smart" relay for this purpose (these only supply power when the voltage gets over a specified threshold eg 13+V which indicates the engine is running and the alternator is charging properly). 

This also saves cutting in to your vehicle's wiring as you can run directly from the main battery (fused of course)
MattyH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 09:46
Thanks - don;t know whether this will work with the Amperor, as it's expecting the D+ signal to do the switching itself.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 09:55
I used a smart relay for my towbar wiring.  It supplies 12v for a fridge and leisure battery and has a spare pole for a 30a accessory socket which I fitted in the back of the van.  This was I one I used- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-trailer-Split-charge-fridge-relay-kit-VOLTAGE-SENSING-TF1170-3-/380291129348?hash=item588b1e2004 ;

The D+ wire is the small wire on the alternator that senses load.  It runs from the alternator to the dash via the ebox under the battery.  Not sure about the wiring colours offhand.   
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 10:02
Just seen your reply.  The unit itself does the switching as Greg says by sensing when the battery voltage reaches a set point (which comes pre-set but you can tweek if you want).  This way the leisure battery can't flatten the vehicle battery.  There is no need for the D+ connection.    

Edited by T5 TDI - 23 May 17 at 10:02
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 14:51
D+ signal wire or engine run feed - under dash - driver's footwell
(Connector T18a / pin13 - Blue wire)

T18a is a tanny brown 18 pin plug into the Onboard Control Module

Might be better to get an Auto Electrician to connect it unless you are very familiar with this type of
job.
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
MattyH View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 21:09
Thanks all, especially Stryne with those detailed instructions. I spoke to a very helpful man at Amperor who said any feed that's 12V when the ignition is on (whether engine running or not) is OK - so I've taken one from the live side of the fusebox.

Cheers
Matt
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 17 at 22:20
A clever unit by the look of it.  It seems to have a D+ emulator circuit so that must be why you can use a simple switched live.  Plus it has a solar controller.  Bet it cost more than £23 though!  Wink 
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply